Burning an MKV to a Home DVD Player help?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Unagi, May 21, 2012.

May 21, 2012
  1. Unagi
    OP

Banned Unagi A disgrace to his famiry.

United States
    For you technology pros out there, whats the easiest way to get a movie (Princess Mononoke) which has dual audio in an MKV format, to a DVD that can be played on home theater? Don't have money to pay for software, so any good freeware? I'm currently contemplating this on Mac OS Lion, but I have Windows 7 as a backup system to work with.

I have two copies: one is a dual audio (English and Japanese) MKV and the other is an MP4 (Japanese audio with .SRT subtitles). Is there a way to permanently hard burn/encode the subtitle file(.srt or .sub) onto the video file? Help!

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    As far as windows software goes, DVD Flick should be able to convert both file types.
    http://www.dvdflick.net/
    I don't know about hardcoding the subtitles, but it offers a soft option.

3. Unagi
    OP

United States
    Thank you so much Rydian, but is it just a pass through or is it something I can change when I watch it, with a remote? At this point, I just want subtitles :D

4. Rydian

United States
    It takes the subtitles and adds them into the DVD like a normal movie, so yeah you can toggle them (opposed to hard subs, which are permanently added into the video file).

5. Unagi
    OP

United States
    Awesome, thanks for the heads up! I'll get back to you if I get the DVD working! :) Zzzz... been at this all day, because my friend said its a good movie. >_>

6. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    It's an excellent movie. Miyazaki has some fantastic stuff.

7. Unagi
    OP

United States
    Hiya Rydian, hey thanks a ton man I got it to work, with a decent looking menu to boot. Subs work, set to default English subs and has alternate dubbed audio for other folks!

8. Rydian

United States
    Glad to hear it.

9. cultureenhance

Newcomer cultureenhance Newbie

United States
    Most DVD players does not support MKV video formats, in order to play MKV in DVD players, we had better convert MKV to DVD player more supported format like MP4, DivX, MPEG-2 etc.

You may try iDealshare VideoGo to convert MKV to DVD more supported video as well as burn MKV to DVD for playing MKV on DVD player successfully.

It can easily help to:

Convert 1080p MKV to DVD format to burn 1080p MKV to DVD
    Convert 720p MKV to DVD format to burn 720p MKV to DVD
    Convert MKV files in other resolution to DVD to burn MKV to DVD for play MKV on DVD player
    Convert and burn MKV to DVD for successfully playing MKV files on any kind of DVD player
    Convert and burn other video files including AVI, WMV, MP4, MPG, FLV, AVCHD, MOV, 3GP, WTV, MXF, and etc to DVD

10. jessendeen

Newcomer jessendeen Newbie

China
    I find a powerful MKV to DVD player - Avdshare Video Converter to help you convert MKV in 1080p, 720p or other resolution or convert H.264 MKV, MPEG-4 MKV, H.265 MKV, AVC MKV, VP8 MKV etc.