Burning an .avi and watching it?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by War, Dec 4, 2007.

Dec 4, 2007
  1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Is it possible to burn an .avi file and watch it on a DVD player as if it was a regular movie? I heard from my friend that she couldn't see an .avi on her DVD player. I was downloading a movie and assumed it was an .iso, but now I'm stuck with an .avi

Also, what would be the best program to burn the .avi with? Is Nero 7 Express ok?

2. Awdofgum

Member Awdofgum Wadofgum

United States
    yes it is possible, and Nero will do fine.

3. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Would you mind giving me the step by step? Also, would it be possible to have my DVD player run this .avi burned into a CD? Or does it HAVE to be a DVD?

4. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    Most Divx compatible dvd players will play a avi using xvid/divx. All Divx certified dvd players will play a avi using xvid/divx.

http://www.divx.com/products/hw/browse.php?c=1

Also there are some tools that will automagically burn an avi on to a dvd to be played by any dvd player.

5. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    You have two options -

If your DVD player is Divx/Xvid compatible then just burn the AVI to either a CD or a DVD, then place into your DVD player and you should be able to select the file from a menu.

If your DVD player is not Divx/Xvid compatible then you will need to convert the AVI to a DVD format then burn the converted DVD onto a blank DVD.
    If you need to use this option I recommend using the program WinAVI to convert the AVI to DVD format, then just burn using whatever program you normally use to burn DVDs such as Nero.

6. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States

Yep. Exactly.

You can buy a divx compatible dvd player. the phillips one is good and it's $30 at walmart. that's what i use.
    You can burn 700mb avi rips onto cd as a data cd. then play it in the phillips. Or if it's more than 700mb you can burn to a dvd as a data dvd.

I'm guessing you don't have a divx compatible player though. So do like mc dui said and convert with WinAVI. Then open nero and select burn dvd. then add the the dvd files from the video_ts folder. don't worry about the audio_ts.

7. GrayFox Cap

Member GrayFox Cap GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I suggest grabbing a divx/dvd player. It's SO much easier and cost effective. You can put a handful of movies on one DVD. But I guess that is all well and good for personal use. Take that DVD of avi's to a friend's place and you're stuck gambling if you can read it or not.

Truth be told, I've spread this information to friends and family and we pretty much all have divx players. And the ones that don't... have modded Xbox 1's... which is even better than a divx player! I use my xbox as a media center these days.