Hardware Burning an .avi and watching it?

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Is it possible to burn an .avi file and watch it on a DVD player as if it was a regular movie? I heard from my friend that she couldn't see an .avi on her DVD player. I was downloading a movie and assumed it was an .iso, but now I'm stuck with an .avi

Also, what would be the best program to burn the .avi with? Is Nero 7 Express ok?

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You have two options -

If your DVD player is Divx/Xvid compatible then just burn the AVI to either a CD or a DVD, then place into your DVD player and you should be able to select the file from a menu.

If your DVD player is not Divx/Xvid compatible then you will need to convert the AVI to a DVD format then burn the converted DVD onto a blank DVD.
If you need to use this option I recommend using the program WinAVI to convert the AVI to DVD format, then just burn using whatever program you normally use to burn DVDs such as Nero.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You have two options -

If your DVD player is Divx/Xvid compatible then just burn the AVI to either a CD or a DVD, then place into your DVD player and you should be able to select the file from a menu.

If your DVD player is not Divx/Xvid compatible then you will need to convert the AVI to a DVD format then burn the converted DVD onto a blank DVD.
If you need to use this option I recommend using the program WinAVI to convert the AVI to DVD format, then just burn using whatever program you normally use to burn DVDs such as Nero.

Yep. Exactly.

You can buy a divx compatible dvd player. the phillips one is good and it's $30 at walmart. that's what i use.
You can burn 700mb avi rips onto cd as a data cd. then play it in the phillips. Or if it's more than 700mb you can burn to a dvd as a data dvd.

I'm guessing you don't have a divx compatible player though. So do like mc dui said and convert with WinAVI. Then open nero and select burn dvd. then add the the dvd files from the video_ts folder. don't worry about the audio_ts.

GrayFox Cap

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I suggest grabbing a divx/dvd player. It's SO much easier and cost effective. You can put a handful of movies on one DVD. But I guess that is all well and good for personal use. Take that DVD of avi's to a friend's place and you're stuck gambling if you can read it or not.

Truth be told, I've spread this information to friends and family and we pretty much all have divx players. And the ones that don't... have modded Xbox 1's... which is even better than a divx player! I use my xbox as a media center these days.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.