Burning 360 and original Xbox games

AATHENINJA206

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone!
I had a question about burning Xbox games. will burned original Xbox games work on Xbox 360? Has anyone ever tried this?
I did it once, I burned the game to a dual layer DVD and the 360 did read it how ever it was stuck on the white Xbox screen.
Any solutions?

Last edited by AATHENINJA206,

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it is.
So you've tried burning the complete iso version and the xiso of the same game, and none of them worked? The xiso one giving you region error could be legit, did you check the region of the iso & xiso in XDVDmulleter?
I would try burning another game (compatible), and check the ISO image if it's region free or not beforehand..
Also what burning software are you using?

Reactions: godreborn

AATHENINJA206

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So you've tried burning the complete iso version and the xiso of the same game, and none of them worked? The xiso one giving you region error could be legit, did you check the region of the iso & xiso in XDVDmulleter?
I would try burning another game (compatible), and check the ISO image if it's region free or not beforehand..
Also what burning software are you using?
My consoles region is PAL. I think the version of the game I have is NTSC. Maybe that's why it gave me an error. I do have the PAL version of another game, should I try that and see if it works?
I'm using Clone CD. Any other program I use gives me an error.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My consoles region is PAL. I think the version of the game I have is NTSC. Maybe that's why it gave me an error. I do have the PAL version of another game, should I try that and see if it works?
I'm using Clone CD. Any other program I use gives me an error.
use dvd mulleter. I've never had a failed burn with that one. make sure you're burning to good media dual-layer like verbatim.

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My consoles region is PAL. I think the version of the game I have is NTSC. Maybe that's why it gave me an error.
Could be.. Seems like the 360 wouldn't accept any out of region games (even with the flashed disc drive), and if that's the case you're options are limited to PAL, or some that can be turned into RF..
I do have the PAL version of another game, should I try that and see if it works?
Worth trying, just to see if the Xbox partition is working as it should..

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, not sure if a flashed drive is still restricted to region on an rgh. most people don't use the drive anymore, in some cases, removing the drive in favor of a fan in its place. the power light blinks if the dvd drive is removed, but it won't affect the system. there's also a patch to the nand that will disable that annoyance as well as the more difficult way of soldering some cables to the mobo.

AATHENINJA206

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Update 3:
I burned the PAL version of a game, inserted it into my Xbox but when I launch it the Xbox screen flashes once and then I get this error:
This Xbox game has encountered a problem and cannot continue.
X: 5832.0. B: 1884.0
Any suggestions?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update 3:
I burned the PAL version of a game, inserted it into my Xbox but when I launch it the Xbox screen flashes once and then I get this error:
This Xbox game has encountered a problem and cannot continue.
X: 5832.0. B: 1884.0
Any suggestions?
with dvd mulleter? the flash is a good sign as it suggests the system is detecting the compatibility files.

AATHENINJA206

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
with dvd mulleter? the flash is a good sign as it suggests the system is detecting the compatibility files.
Nope. I just burned the XISO file to a dual layer DVD using Clone CD. The 360 detects the game, but it can't start it. And for some reason I don't get the update prompt for backwards compatible games.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nothing else. I don't really recall this procedure too much as it's been like 15 years since I burned an xbox disc. I've had a jtag since 2008 (still works w/ 0 repairs, but it's become my test system, don't play it).

Reactions: AATHENINJA206

me_man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm late to the party in that I'm just now figuring this out myself. I hope the OP figured this out in the lase 7 months.
I just want to add, consistent with the OP's description of the reading of the full iso burn, that placing a 360 disc into a pc's dvd drive, it is read as a very small dvd, which only has an xbox logo, and a message screen telling you that the disc is intended to be used in an xbox 360.
I'd imagine, especially if the burning process went very fast, that it's possible only that small partition was extracted and written.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afaik, you still have to use dual layer discs for xbox original games. and, to burn xgd3 requires overburn, possibly a specific dev drive. I had a jtag before xgd3 came out, so I have no experience with it.

me_man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need a specific drive to correctly burn XGD3 games.
Overburning and truncating will result in getting flagged/banned and or trouble booting/installing games.
Thank you. I was looking into that.
I understand the drive to get is a lite-on iHAS series drive.
Is it true that revision B of these units is the last to be useful for this?
Also is there any firmware that if a drive were updated to, would make these drives unable to accept the custom firmware? Like to high of a version number to downgrade from or anything?
I see a lot of these drives on ebay for around $15. If all I have to do is make sure there's a B after the model number on the label, it should be easy to find one. Would the older ones work too? rev A or unrevised or whatever, with an older build date?

Looking at isos in the redump spec, I see three file sizes:
8,738,846,720 bytes
7,838,695,424 bytes
7,835,492,352 bytes
Do these file sizes correlate to XGD3, XGD2 and XGD1 discs respectively?

Obviously the larger one is a challenge, as the capacity of a typical dvd+dl disc seems to be reported as 8,547,991,552 bytes in my normal pc with a normal drive.

On a very loosely related note, I was recently able to burn the wall, a 2cd set worth about 82 minutes, onto a single 80 minute cd with IMGBurn, that plays with no trouble!

me_man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For now, until I get an iHas drive, so long as I patch with agbx, am I safe to burn and play all of the smaller sized (non-XGD3) games without incident? IMGBurn has successfully verified my burns.
I guess the .dvd file generated by agbx tells IMGBurn where the layer break occurs. It automatically happens at 1913760 for mine so far, and what I've read here indicates that that is correct.

Any other issues I need to know about in preparing discs?
I followed the main tutorial to a T, I'd just hate to screw up on some little detail and get the console banned. Are there any games that require special steps?

One possibility that crossed my mind, is If I have a game from another region that actually is region locked would abgx unlock it? Then I'd play a game for a region that was never released and get banned?

Sorry to hammer so many questions, and I know this probably isn't too fresh on many people's minds, but I just want to make sure I can maintain stealth like a ninja.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For now, until I get an iHas drive, so long as I patch with agbx, am I safe to burn and play all of the smaller sized (non-XGD3) games without incident? IMGBurn has successfully verified my burns.
I guess the .dvd file generated by agbx tells IMGBurn where the layer break occurs. It automatically happens at 1913760 for mine so far, and what I've read here indicates that that is correct.

Any other issues I need to know about in preparing discs?
I followed the main tutorial to a T, I'd just hate to screw up on some little detail and get the console banned. Are there any games that require special steps?

One possibility that crossed my mind, is If I have a game from another region that actually is region locked would abgx unlock it? Then I'd play a game for a region that was never released and get banned?

Sorry to hammer so many questions, and I know this probably isn't too fresh on many people's minds, but I just want to make sure I can maintain stealth like a ninja.
that is the lay break for xgd (not xgd3 but you need to verify them). the .dvd file is just for the layer break. you can input one to use all the time within img burn, but do note that xgd3 uses a different one. you can't boot a different region unless using a jtag/rgh. I'm a major shmup fan, and there are a lot that are Japan only. they will not work on a simple flash drive. abgx should tell you which regions it's playable on.

Reactions: me_man

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    LEOtck? Who's he? Never 'erd of the las. :)
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I only show the mirror to people and you all can't stand what you're seeing
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    bunch of bullies
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder 101
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I think that's what you have
    Thanks for providing further evidence of my claim in a single comment. lol.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
    Sooo. How about Dune part 1 & 2? The cinematography is fantastic, but thats some of the most boring ass sci-fi Ive seen in my life.
    haven't seen both
    Im going to see the new Godzilla next week. Sure they aren't some cinematic masterpieces but the last few were all really great and fun popcorn flicks to see on the big screen.
    can't remember the last time I went to the cinemas
    Me neither, not precisely. I think the last one I went to was Top Gun Maverick
    Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely see the new Planet of the Apes in a theater too.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely...