Burning 360 and original Xbox games

AATHENINJA206

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone!
I had a question about burning Xbox games. will burned original Xbox games work on Xbox 360? Has anyone ever tried this?
I did it once, I burned the game to a dual layer DVD and the 360 did read it how ever it was stuck on the white Xbox screen.
Any solutions?

Last edited by AATHENINJA206,

me_man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If ABGX says said games are region free, they can be played on whatever system.
Actual out of region games require a JTAG/RGH.
That's pretty much what I thought. Luckily it seems a lot of discs released only in certain regions (KOF XII) are still region free. I know it'll show up red in abgx if it's region locked to a region other than your console, but if someone were to overlook it, and tried to play it with a flashed drive, would they likely get the same error as anyone else? (aside from jtag/rgh) or flagged for it?
Post automatically merged:

Speaking of KOF XII, (since I just did) would you put this in an unbanned flashed console?

Attachments

• abgx.png
    abgx.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's pretty much what I thought. Luckily it seems a lot of discs released only in certain regions (KOF XII) are still region free. I know it'll show up red in abgx if it's region locked to a region other than your console, but if someone were to overlook it, and tried to play it with a flashed drive, would they likely get the same error as anyone else? (aside from jtag/rgh) or flagged for it?
the only games I have that are Japanese JP only are shmup ones.. the 360 has a large number of shmup games from monolith and cave just like the dreamcast and the ps2. no idea why they didn't appear on the ps3. and, JPN only seems to be the death knell of some of them, considering the Japanese hated the 360. those are my main games. I don't know if you can get them if they're bc or what on the series x, which would be interesting. one of these games is death smiles 1 and 2, and otomedius gorgeous/excellent.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's pretty much what I thought. Luckily it seems a lot of discs released only in certain regions (KOF XII) are still region free. I know it'll show up red in abgx if it's region locked to a region other than your console, but if someone were to overlook it, and tried to play it with a flashed drive, would they likely get the same error as anyone else? (aside from jtag/rgh)
Most likely, it'll behave as if you inserted a non-region free legit ntsc-j disc to the disc drive (flashed or not).
or flagged for it?
No.

Speaking of KOF XII, (since I just did) would you put this in an unbanned flashed console?
All green from what i'm seeing, so should be good.

Reactions: me_man

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got KOF iV for the ps5, but I have no friends, so I've never gotten to play it outside of having to let the whole game be copied to my internal m2. anything that can be clicked doesn't work in the bare minimum. that's one thing that sucks balls about the ps5. it can take 40 minutes to copy one game.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@godreborn now that i think about it, i think the majority of pal & ntsc releases were region free on the 360 so that's probably why it worked for me, when i said i had burned discs from pal versions, they most likely were RF.
Though there are other pal exclusive games that probably wouldn't work if i tried them. Also, Japanese exclusive shmups weren't RF.

On another note, i had a dummy profile with a modified gamerscore like back in 2012, had like 130.000G or something, all the achievements unlocked etc. I wasn't banned, not the profile or the system. In fact it took them like 1 year to detect it, and all they did is reset the profile to 0G.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@godreborn now that i think about it, i think the majority of pal & ntsc releases were region free on the 360 so that's probably why it worked for me, when i said i had burned discs from pal versions, they most likely were RF.
Though there are other pal exclusive games that probably wouldn't work if i tried them. Also, Japanese exclusive shmups weren't RF.

On another note, i had a dummy profile with a modified gamerscore like back in 2012, had like 130.000G or something, all the achievements unlocked etc. I wasn't banned, not the profile or the system. In fact it took them like 1 year to detect it, and all they did is reset the profile to 0G.
yes, I unlocked all trophies and I got reset as well. that's all Microsoft did. it's probably due to the fact that you manipulate your gamerscore without hacking the console. I think the first guy to get 100,000, microsoft found out he was a cheater.

Reactions: CoolMe

me_man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All green from what i'm seeing, so should be good.
Except the errors in yellow at the beginning about the layerbreak:

Error reading Layer Boundary Information (NO ADDITIONAL SENSE INFORMATION)
Layerbreak: Unknown

But it's hard for me to understand how it could pass if it was a problem.
Is it possible that some other info would be required to emulate the iso that isn't present, since it's an actual physical disc?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except the errors in yellow at the beginning about the layerbreak:

But it's hard for me to understand how it could pass if it was a problem.
Is it possible that some other info would be required to emulate the iso that isn't present, since it's an actual physical disc?
It may say that if you're not using a .DVD file. the layer break is always the same for xgd2, and xgd3 (different)

me_man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It may say that if you're not using a .DVD file. the layer break is always the same for xgd2, and xgd3 (different)
But I did.

The IMGBurn log entries I shared:
I 15:07:12 Writing Layer 0... (LBA: 0 - 1913759)
I 15:19:06 Writing Layer 1... (LBA: 1913760 - 3827487)
indicate that the break happened where other posts indicated it should.

The error doesn't say the layer-break happens in the wrong spot. It says:

I tried scanning with agbx with a different drive, same error. I tried another burning snother XGD2 game with the 2nd burner. I got the same result when I scanned the disc.

These verbatim DVD+DL discs I'm using are MID: CMC MAG-D03-64 while the "good" verbatim DVD+DL discs that were more common 5-10 years ago are MID: MKM-003-00, and seem to be considered a superior product for archival. I would be surprised if that could be the cause though. Maybe with the XGD3 disc that have to write past the normal edge, but even then, I'd expect it would likely fail just before the break, or at the end, and not verify as good in IMGBurn.

Could someone with a patched disc that they trust scan it with agbx v1.07 and see if they get the same result?

Is there some reason IMGBurn might not be up to the task? at least under windows 10?
I'm really trying to figure this out.
I might try playing the discs in Xenia, but even if they work that doesn't guarantee that there isn't something suspect (non-stealthy) about these discs.

OK. It's going to be ok.
I think something is broken in AGBX v1.07.
v1.06 shows the layer break, at the expected address, in green.
TO ANY FUTURE PEOPLE READING THIS, DON'T PULL AS MUCH HAIR OUT AS I DID.
1671085507623.png

I still wonder about not only the "unknown" layerbreak location, but the message:
I feel confident to ignore it now, but what does it mean? Something extra for drive emulators?

It confused me, The original agbx site is down, or at least inaccessible (403) and there was no manual to be found on the newer site: abgx360.hadzz.com/ ( <------ I can do that now :) )
I couldn't find any documentation on it that would explain that yellow text.

Last edited by me_man,

me_man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you using xbox backup creator? and yes, those are the correct disks.
I'm not currently. I've been using abgx and imgburn. I could try it for the burning end, patching too if it's equipped and up to date, but I don't think it will make any difference since it's only alerting about the layer break, which is in the right spot. And verifies as such in v1.06. The discs I made seem to be fine. according everything except those yellow messages in v1.07

Can you tell me the home site for the xbox backup creator? A web search doesn't show me an obvious home to the project. I'll try it and report back. Although I'd guess though that everyone's stealth discs will have this error on abgx v1.07.

It would set my mind at ease if someone could test one of their stealth discs with v1.07, and see if it's not something that occurs on everyone's discs. I know v1.07 is pretty recent, and most of you were probably using v1.06 or lower whenever you were doing this.

Verbatim is better than many brands, however the verbatim blanks that were common 5-10 years ago (APO), are a better quality disc than what I am using now.
MID: MKM-003-00 - Superior quality "APO" dyed discs that were more common years ago.
MID: CMC MAG-D03-64 - Cheaper "Life Series" discs that I'm using, and are what you usually see in the stores.

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not currently. I've been using abgx and imgburn. I could try it for the burning end, patching too if it's equipped and up to date, but I don't think it will make any difference since it's only alerting about the layer break, which is in the right spot. And verifies as such in v1.06. The discs I made seem to be fine. according everything except those yellow messages in v1.07

Can you tell me the home site for the xbox backup creator? A web search doesn't show me an obvious home to the project. I'll try it and report back. Although I'd guess though that everyone's stealth discs will have this error on abgx v1.07.

It would set my mind at ease if someone could test one of their stealth discs with v1.07, and see if it's not something that occurs on everyone's discs. I know v1.07 is pretty recent, and most of you were probably using v1.06 or lower whenever you were doing this.

Verbatim is better than many brands, however the verbatim blanks that were common 5-10 years ago (APO), are a better quality disc than what I am using now.
MID: MKM-003-00 - Superior quality "APO" dyed discs that were more common years ago.
MID: CMC MAG-D03-64 - Cheaper "Life Series" discs that I'm using, and are what you usually see in the stores.
XBC launches ImgBurn, unrelated, why not just RGH3 the console?

When burning a disc, make sure you're also burning at the slowest speed possible and walk away for 45 minutes till it's complete.

me_man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XBC launches ImgBurn, unrelated, why not just RGH3 the console?

When burning a disc, make sure you're also burning at the slowest speed possible and walk away for 45 minutes till it's complete.
Ok, so maybe I'll try it anyways, but if it uses IMGBurn anyways, unless it does something better than abgx I don't guess it would make a difference.

For live access. Of course if I screw up and get caught and banned, that will be the backup plan.

I do usually use the slowest speeds. This drive, and these discs allow 4x, 6x, and 8x. I've been using 4x for these, but I've burnt dvds at 8x with no problems, and buffers full the whole time.

erikas

Trophies
XP
Country

https://ia903100.us.archive.org/20/items/xbox-tools/Xbox_Backup_Creator-v2.9.0.425.zip
every download of xbc is detected as a virus, but i think this is it. I can't test it right now since i need to set up my old pc, because thats where the dvd drive is. I also have a few blank verbatim dvds lying around back from the good old days. What game are you trying to burn?

me_man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've burnt a few. KOF XII was my first objective. I'm 99% sure they're ok. I'll try patching one with the Backup Creator program. I think I may have trouble because based on my loose understanding of it, only agbx v1.07 automatically fetches some type of stealth padding info ( SS, DMI, PFI ) that is missing from modern redump isos. I'll try it though. I guess if it doesn't work, I could patch it with agbx, then patch it with xbox backup creator, and see if it makes any difference. I'm really doubting it though.

All the games I've burnt are XGD2 games, burnt and verified with a run of the mill Phillips dvd drive on stock firmware. I tried verifying, then burning a different iso, and verifying with another run of the mill Hitachi drive. The result was the same. Green correct layerbreak on v1.06, yellow error and unknown on v1.07.

erikas

Trophies
XP
Country
I've burnt a few. KOF XII was my first objective. I'm 99% sure they're ok. I'll try patching one with the Backup Creator program. I think I may have trouble because based on my loose understanding of it, only agbx v1.07 automatically fetches some type of stealth padding info ( SS, DMI, PFI ) that is missing from modern redump isos. I'll try it though. I guess if it doesn't work, I could patch it with agbx, then patch it with xbox backup creator, and see if it makes any difference. I'm really doubting it though.

All the games I've burnt are XGD2 games, burnt and verified with a run of the mill Phillips dvd drive on stock firmware. I tried verifying, then burning a different iso, and verifying with another run of the mill Hitachi drive. The result was the same. Green correct layerbreak on v1.06, yellow error and unknown on v1.07.
you still need to patch with agbx. you use xbc instead of imgburn, only use imgburn as the burn engine. Also i've always burned at 2.4x speed. would be strange for that not to be supported. I'm gonna burn it tomorrow and see what happens.

me_man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you still need to patch with agbx. you use xbc instead of imgburn, only use imgburn as the burn engine. Also i've always burned at 2.4x speed. would be strange for that not to be supported. I'm gonna burn it tomorrow and see what happens.
I'm not sure what dictates it, and it's probably hackable, but stock IMGBurn will not allow it.
"I 23:13:21 Destination Media Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x"
If I try to set it lower, it will say speed mis-compare, or something like that and automatically bump it up to 4x and start burning.

I was going to try xbox backup creator just now, but then got to searching for details on iHas drives, rev. B, etc, etc. Then searching, and reading, I came across a post from Dinoh, mentioning BurnerMax.

A couple searches later, and here I am currently burning my first xgd3 game. Fingers crossed.

It made it past the layer break!! :)

Well I think my first XGD3 disc burn was a success. Verifies as good in agbx 1.06 (with notices about lack of online capabilities) and 1.07 gives the same "NO ADDITIONAL SENSE INFORMATION" error and reports the layerbreak as "unknown"
1671172562949.png

I tried XBC. One I burned through it's internal engine, one I had it send to IMGBurn.
The results were the same, and the same as before. "NO ADDITIONAL SENSE INFORMATION"
Both times I encountered these errors,
1671181146375.png

told it to continue, and ended up with a disc that (mostly) verified clean.

I guess the video error doesn't matter
below is quoted from abgx360.hadzz.com
2012/01/03
abgx360 v1.0.6 released!
Note: The way video is checked/fixed is now a little different for both XGD2 and XGD3. The previous way was to check/fix both L0 video and L1 video off of L0, and then to check/fix "SplitVid" (L1 video on L1) afterwards by comparing it to L1 video on L0. Since XGD3 has no room for L1 video on L0, and to keep things consistent, video will now always be checked/fixed according to L0 on L0 and L1 on L1, and the "SplitVid" check is now gone (nominally). The only effective difference is that L1 video on L0 is no longer checked, but this is not a problem... it's not even supposed to be there and it's not visible to the host console when using a "safe" custom firmware. You can rest assured that only old and unsafe custom firmwares will read L1 video from L0; newer ones will read it properly from L1 (this is necessary in order to replicate the read/seek performance of an original disc).

There is also a big annoying yellow message if you have "Check/Fix Video padding" enabled and you check an XGD2 game with L1 video on L0 (or any data in that area). To make the message go away you will need to either add command line option "--pL0" to confirm that you want to blank it out (XGD2 ISOs without L1 video on L0 will appear to have bad video data when checked with older versions of abgx360), or you can simply disable "Check/Fix Video padding", as it still makes no difference in terms of stealth... this option only exists as a way to make sure ISOs are "clean", with no extra data in areas that aren't CRC checked. Note that this version of abgx360 doesn't care about L1 video on L0... it will pad L0 video with zeroes whenever video is autofixed or manually patched.

I guess he's saying the video padding doesn't really matter. I'm thinking that's why it's handled differently in XBC vs AGBX. It seems that older versions took better care to patch it?

Here he goes a little further:
1671181941169.png
I'd just as soon have it all intact, but if it doesn't matter, it doesn't matter.

I still wish I know what that error around the layerbreak is about. I really doubt it's harmful, but ?????

Attachments

• 1671181763398.png
    1671181763398.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited by me_man,
Reactions: erikas

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: @Sonic Angel Knight :bortz2: