Burned fuses by mistake, clean nand backup is of lower fw

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by DbGt, Oct 1, 2018.

1. DbGt
    OP

DbGt GBAtemp Regular

Jul 28, 2004
    Mexico
    Probably theres nothing i can do, but I have a clean nand backup of fw 4.1, i updated my switch long time ago using rajikosto method (long guide) to 5.1, had only 5 burned fuses.

I took a long flight with my switchs (autorcm) battery completely drained, i tried charging the switch with the planes power outlets but it was not charging at all, i was in fact losing charge (i was checking with hekate, had about 1% of battery).

I figured that maybe if i removed autorcm with hekate, the switch will charge normally. So i did that but only got my switch to burn the 4.1 fuses. The switch didnt charged normally, I couldnt charged it during the flight, I also never boot to horizon nor i was able to use the switch during the flight, but now i have 6 burned fuses.

I got somewhat annoyed as i have read a lot and thought i knew what i was doing. After thinking about it all, i dont care too much about burned fuses but i do care about my clean nand backup

is there something i could do?? could i edit my clean backup and change its fw from 4.1 to 5.1? so i can use it and restore it if necessary? Is my backup useless now?

how could i create another clean nand backup?

Last edited by DbGt, Oct 1, 2018
  2. asnka

asnka GBAtemp Regular

Apr 27, 2006
    Kazakhstan
    did you leave it in the dock charging over night yet?
    I have had autorcm battery problems twice...and an over night dock charge fixed it..

3. DbGt
    OP

DbGt GBAtemp Regular

Jul 28, 2004
    Mexico
    I already fixed that and i have recovered a few times from a dead battery with autorcm

my problem is another, i burned my switch fuses by mistake and my clean nand backup is of a lower fw, i am asking if theres anything i could do to still be able to use this clean backup

4. xabier

xabier GBAtemp Fan

Dec 10, 2006
    United States
    Restore your backup, boot ofw with hekate(rcm) so it ignores the fuses, then update to a versión that match your fuse count with a game cart or just go online and update.

Another option is using choidujour, but its riskier ban wise because it involves cfw.

Once you update to a fw with the same fuse count number than your hardware you wont need hekate, if you update to a version with more burned fuses it will burn them and boot normally without the need of RCM.

Last edited by xabier, Oct 1, 2018
  5. bundat

bundat ¿

Jul 25, 2018
    Antarctica
    • Restore your clean 4.1 NAND backup
    • Boot using Hekate's "stock" option, which skips the fuse check (Personally, I'd just boot Hekate without the SD card inserted, to be 100% sure I don't have a "dirty" Nintendo folder)
    • I'd then update using an "official" method (either directly to 6.0 using OFW update, or to 5.1 using an actual cartridge). Because ChoiDujourNX needs CFW and HB Loader, I personally don't want to use those when making my "clean" NAND backup
    • Then make a new NAND backup after updating
    EDIT: Ninja'd :ninja: :gun: @xabier :P

Last edited by bundat, Oct 1, 2018
    klear and DbGt like this.
  6. asnka

asnka GBAtemp Regular

Apr 27, 2006
    Kazakhstan
    As far as i know....youre boned..sorry..

7. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    No he's fine, he might have to update though.

8. asnka

asnka GBAtemp Regular

Apr 27, 2006
    Kazakhstan
    the switch scene just moves too fast for this old man....sorry about the misinfo...
    just so i know....he cant use his clean nand backup with the burned fuses right?

9. bundat

bundat ¿

Jul 25, 2018
    Antarctica
    Hekate can skip the fuse check.
    Sleep mode is broken though if you have too many burned fuses, so it's only good for restoring an old clean NAND backup that you will update.

asnka and DbGt like this.
  10. DbGt
    OP

DbGt GBAtemp Regular

Jul 28, 2004
    Mexico
    Thank you very much for your help! wow didnt knew this was possible, i thought i was screwed

So, whats the point of doing a new clean nand backup if I still can use the one i have???

I dont have any game cart except for mario odyssey, so my only option would be to update by connecting online. But i would prefer not to burn more fuses, and I still dont see the need to update to 6.0

So, can i just keep my old clean backup and continue like nothing happened?

11. bundat

bundat ¿

Jul 25, 2018
    Antarctica
    When using Hekate to boot a lower firmware (which requires less burned fuses than you have), sleep mode is broken, and when the Switch goes to sleep, it crashes:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-...tore-crashes-after-sleep.519091/#post-8301468

Also, "continuity" is what matters most to Nintendo's logging, it seems. It's not only about having a "clean" NAND.
    i.e. if some logs your Switch sent in the past suddenly go missing, it means you did something questionable to get rid of those logs.
    So personally, I make a new NAND backup every time I go "off the grid" (i.e. going from online, then deleting my wifi settings)
    And also after each update.

Of course, you don't have to do this NOW, but I recommend doing it when you finally want to connect your Switch to wifi.

12. DbGt
    OP

DbGt GBAtemp Regular

Jul 28, 2004
    Mexico

I see, thanks. I use my switch completely offline, Im only interested in the clean backup in case I somehow screw up the switch. At the moment im not interested at all in playing online or connecting the switch online.

I will then keep my old clean backup for now as my main backup, thank again