Burned AND legit Gamecube games take multiple tries to load

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ruel, Jul 10, 2009.

1. ruel
    OP

ruel Member

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2009
    Canada
    I've had my wiikey 2 for a couple of months and I've noticed a problem that is slowly starting to worsen:

Wii backups and legit Wii games load normally almost 100% of the time, but the majority of Gamecube backups AND legit games take multiple tries to get them to load. It didn't used to be like this.

I turn on the Wii and put in the Gamecube backup or legit game. Then the gamecube logo appears on the disk channel. Then I click to start the game. The Wii remote shuts off (like it should) and I get a black screen. I usually hold the power button and then remove the disk and try again. It usually takes between two and four tries to get games to load.

-I burn the disks using ImgBurn at 2.4x speed on TDK DVD-R disks.
    -My wii is at 4.0u
    -My games are NTSC-U
    -My Wiikey 2 is fully updated.
    -I have NO homebrew and never had any
    -Both multi-iso GCN backups and standard GCN backups have this problem, as well as legit GCN games

I thought it might be a dirty laser, but dual layer games such as Brawl work fine.

Please help me...

EDIT: Now it doesn't seem to be reading GCN games at all. It just goes to a black screen when I click play.

EDIT2: This could just be a fluke, but I put the wiikey2 config disk in and change allow no updates to allow only USA updates. I then put in my GCN game and it worked. I'll try playing another game in a few hours and see if it works first try still.

EDIT3: It went back to not working... but I did figure out that if I put in the wiikey2 config disk, the next Gamecube game will almost always work. What could cause this?

2. ruel
    OP

ruel Member

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2009
    Canada
    BUMP

3. Golfman560

Golfman560 TheRapist.com

Dec 29, 2008
    Living with seals
    Drive laser could be dirty or dying. Just because a dual layer game works doesn't mean it couldn't be a dirty laser. If that isn't it then the Wiikey2 could be malfunctioning or may not be placed properly and has recently shifted a bit so it's contact points are messed up.

4. ruel
    OP

ruel Member

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2009
    Canada
    So, would this be the best thing to do?:

1) Buy the laser cleaning disk thing.
    2) If that doesn't work, open up the wii and check if the wiikey2 has shifted (by the way, it's on a wiiclip)
    3) If that doesn't work, get a replacement laser or new wii OR if Wii games continue to work, get a modded Gamecube

EDIT:

I didn't have to do any of that. It's fixed now:
    If anybody else has this problem, change the settings in your wiikey2 from blocking all updates to allowing USA updates.

EDIT2: It only fixed it for a short time.... what I discovered is that if I put the config disk in my wii the next gamecube game will almost always work.

5. ruel
    OP

ruel Member

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2009
    Canada
    BUMP

Please see my latest edit. Why is it that if I put in the wiikey2 config disk that the next gamecube game almost always works?

6. ruel
    OP

ruel Member

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2009
    Canada
    BUMP
    Does anybody know what this could mean? It's as if my wiikey2 needs the config disk to recognize GCN games.

7. ozguy

ozguy GBAtemp Regular

Apr 11, 2009
    United States
    I believe the WiiKey config disk IS a gamecube disk, which basically shows that booting a GC disk is possible.

I would say clean the lens