Burn ratings are a load of crap

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Hammyface, Apr 4, 2007.

Apr 4, 2007
  1. Hammyface
    OP

Member Hammyface GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Just wanted to post my findings.

Today, I burned a Wii game at 16X on the worst possible DVD+R I could find, a batch of DEFECTIVE Memorex DVD recordables. Why were they defective? All of them have an UGLY stain on the bottom of the disks, a discoloration if you will. I have had other of the exact same model Memorex's and they did not have this discoloration. I just got a bad batch. But they work okay. Anyway, I burned the game at max speed, with over 20+ programs running, including video editing apps.

Then, I got my Taiyo Yudens. These are legit, bought from Rima.com. I burned them at 8x, with NO programs open at all, after a fresh reboot.

DVDInfoPro rated the Memorex at 97%, and the Yudens at 82%.

Please people, stop wasting your time. It's horseshit. Just thought I'd post my findings and save some headaches for you guys!

2. xiaNaix

Member xiaNaix GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Don't just look at the rating. Do a full scan.

3. Pikachu025

Member Pikachu025 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Austria
    Okay, great, but how did they actually run on the console, huh?

4. VojislavK

Banned VojislavK Banned

Australia
    The cheaper the cd the better just so u know
    well thats my policy!!!

5. Soybomb

Newcomer Soybomb Advanced Member

Testing dvd burn quality is a hugely variable thing thats going to depend on the media, the burner, how it reports errors, the program you're using to test the dvd, the speed you read at during the test, and even the laser/lens pickup in the player, the way the program tests and what it uses to score the disk. It doesn't tell you how long your media will last before it begins to degrade. In general I don't like vague quality percentages like that, even when you start to look at things like total or max pif errors, it doesn't tell the whole story, sometimes it might just be how the errors are clustered regardless of numbers.

There are a few things we can use as basic rules. If you put important stuff on cheap media you very well might regret it, a few cents now might make your data still be there in the future. Quality checking tools aren't an absolute for anything, they are only to help you get an idea of how different media and burn speeds are read by that drive. Try it in the device those will be used it, try other tools, etc. The quality of your burn depends on many factors, you'll have to play around a little to find out how you can best judge that with your equipment.