Bungie "split" with Microsoft

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by jimmy j, Oct 5, 2007.

1. jimmy j
    OP

jimmy j Awesome for hire.

Apr 22, 2007
    the congo
    Bungie and Microsoft Corp. today announced a plan for Bungie Studios, the developers of Microsoft’s “Halo” franchise, to become a privately held independent company, Bungie, LLC, in which Microsoft will hold a minority equity interest. As part of this transaction, Bungie and Microsoft have forged a deep and long-term development and publishing relationship focused on the continued success of the “Halo” franchise. It is also the intent of both parties to expand their partnership to include new IP created and owned by Bungie.

Bungie Statement

Yahoo News

2. Hadrian

Hadrian Better than Craigslist

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    So I guess not much would change seeing Microsoft still have their claws in them. Bungie had creative control anyway before hand so...meh?

3. jimmy j
    OP

Apr 22, 2007
    the congo
    We might see some Bungie games on DS

4. mkoo

mkoo GBAtemp Fan

Aug 30, 2007
    halo for wii?
    oh I was about to edit my post [​IMG]
    May be they'll make a spin off series for other platform

5. Hadrian

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    Nah...just mobiles and DS, nothing that will cut into Microsoft's sales. They've already announced mobile Halo, theres been a couple of Microsoft DS titles and Rare is doing Viva Pinate.

6. shaunj66

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    They should make Oni 2.

I loved that game [​IMG]

7. jumpman17

jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

Former Staff
    Apr 11, 2003
    United States
    LOL. Not more then 20 minutes ago I was digging through my box of PC games and ran across Oni and went, oh yeah. I remember this game, this game was awesome. And then I saw Bungie at the bottom and went WTF?

8. Hadrian

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    That was a quite a nice game but kinda got a little ignored sadly.

9. Maikel Steneker

Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

May 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Hey guys, Halo on the DS won't happen. Not without Microsofts permission I mean. Microsoft still has the Halo rights.

10. AshuraZro

AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Feb 21, 2004
    Canada
    Saskatchewan
    Of course they would still develop primarily on a Microsoft platform, they've been developing on a Microsoft platform for nearly a decade! Kinda makes sense to stick to what you know, wouldn't you think? What would be nice to know is if they have any grand plans for a new series, perhaps something that would mark their return to the Mac? hmmmmmm? [​IMG]

11. lagman

lagman I wish I was green.

Former Staff
    Nov 5, 2003
    Mexico
    Me, To You
    Wiki

12. VVoltz

VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Nov 6, 2002
    USA
    Good for them.

Now create a good IP and release it on the PSP!

13. mthrnite

mthrnite So it goes.

Former Staff
    Jun 30, 2006
    United States
    th' south
    I could go for another Myth game... Myth II was awesome.

14. Hadrian

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    From a Kotaku interview:

Kotaku: With this new independence are you allowed to start playing around with developing titles for Nintendo and Sony?

Brian Jarrard: For the foreseeable future we're focused on Microsoft platforms and the Xbox and Xbox 360 have obviously been very good to us.

Kotaku: The whole Halo on the DS rumor just doesn't want to die, do you see that in the cards?

Brian Jarrard: This rumor has been circulating for a while and as you know we even saw some real life screens and assets this week. Ultimately it's up to Microsoft to decide if and when they take Halo to a different platform. That particular demo was in fact created and I believe it was an unsolicited pitch a long time ago but nothing ever came of it.

Full Q&A: http://kotaku.com/gaming/feature/bungie-ow...e-qa-307656.php

15. coolbho3000

coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

Apr 29, 2007
    Kikkoman Factory
    Halo DS/Wii might not happen, but we might get something just as good: Marathon.

16. jimmy j
    OP

Apr 22, 2007
    the congo
    Halo DS (microsoft should totally publish this)

ZOMG! HALO 3 FOR DS!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. JPH

JPH Banned

Banned
    Jul 11, 2006
    United States
    Yeah, maybe this is a good thing.

Let's all start bombarding Bungie with thousands of letters and emails about getting Halo 3 DS.

But that would require a contract with Nintendo...?

18. WK416

WK416 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2004
    United States
    I know the second video is probably just a video put on a flash cart or something, but if I knew a Halo game existed for the DS, I would not have bothered getting Goldeneye DS. Especially since I ended up a little underwhelmed by the game. [​IMG]

19. cubin'

cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 12, 2007
    lol i knew it.

all you guys in the other halo 4 ds thread were like 'no wai dudez microsoft wont let bungie go no wai' and i was like: "no way man it could happen, stranger things have happened before'

awesomez

bungie make excellent games so hopefully something shows up on the ds or wii

20. cenotaph

cenotaph GBAtemp Fan

Oct 24, 2006
    United States
    Take Two owns the rights to Oni (Halo was going to be published by them as well, before the Microsoft buyout), so it's unlikely Bungie will ever do a sequel. Also, most of the devs who were on that project were absorbed into one of Take Two's subsidiaries as part of a deal between them and Microsoft/Bungie IIRC.