Bunch of analogue phones, want to do something fun. C.A. Phreakers.

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by FAST6191, Sep 17, 2014.

1. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    A client, one probably best described as a serial entrepreneur, was clearing out their office. Part of this included a bunch of old electronics and like a good engineer with more space than sense I said I will take it off your hands.

I now have a bunch of printers to rip apart (they often have very nice metal rods and gears buried in them that are suitable for all sorts of projects) and/or fix. However an unexpected part of that was a whole bunch of lower end business oriented phones.

Normally I would pull them apart, strip the components or use them for soldering practice (much like teaching someone explosions works for teaching chemistry I find teaching people to bug phones the old school way works pretty well for teaching soldering and analogue electronics), however I have pulled apart loads of phones and similar devices over the years and they seldom have terribly interesting/rare/high quality components. All my clients have long since gone digital and/or VOIP as well, or if they do have analogue it is an all singing, all dancing setup to span a building.

To that end I thought that is enough phones to do something silly with. The problem comes in that my knowledge of analogue phone systems is rather limited -- phreaking probably died in the UK in the very early 90's and where I was at that point in time (BT, the then dominant telco, had some serious research going on there and then) it was likely dead before that, not that I would have been able to do much as I was just getting the hang of dos and windows 2 through 3.11 back then. To that end suggestions for projects, devices, resources of info and software are all requested and welcome.

I have yet to go back and fill that hole in my knowledge, what I have beyond reading the manual ( http://xkcd.com/627/ is entirely correct), plugging the thing in, redoing a connector/box/wire would not make a good anecdote.
    However a while back I saw a video on turning a raspberry pi into an asterisk pbx.

Likewise I do enjoy phone phreaking presentations, the following providing most of my knowledge of matters here

Apologies for the photo quality; I neglected to charge my normal camera and had to use my video one.
    16400010.JPG
    If model numbers are necessary then I will type them out. Likewise if one there happens to be something a legacy system (or legacy person) of yours does well with then speak up and it might be spared its fate.

I am happy enough to spend a bit to see what can be done here (the various things that rasp pi video referenced being good) and I also have a whole bunch of modems that I also normally use for soldering (and winding up a guy located somewhere in Taiwan where modems are apparently still a thing).