Built In Patching on SCDS1 - Enable or Not?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by ancient_imhotep, Jan 30, 2007.

1. ancient_imhotep
    OP

Member ancient_imhotep GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Guys,

I have had my SCDS1 since day one and am very happy with it, but I have some questions about the latest version of the OS which now includes the "On The Fly Patching", the one with Reset and Saver options etc....

1) Does the patching permanently patch the ROM file?

2) Can anyone explain what the settings in the patch settings do? I have a rough idea from using a SC Lite, but want to make sure I have it right.

My reason for asking this is that I have just downloaded the newest build of ScummVM DS. The writer of ScummVM DS, Agentq, has compiled a version with DLDI.

I followed the instructions to patch the .nds file for ScummVM Ds using the DLDI GUI and the SCDS1 driver and everything worked without problems in the sense that the DLDI GUI said it had patched the driver.

However when I ran the scummvm.nds file on my SCDS1, it came up stating that the DLDI driver was not installed or patched into the .nds file.

I had a feeling that it was the SCDS1's "On the fly patching", so I turned off the patching in the menu on the SCDS1 and tried to run the file again - still the same error message.

Thinking that the SCDS1 patching had obviously distroyed the scummvm.nds file, I re-applied the DLDI patch to a clean .nds version of ScummVM and copied this over. With the "On the fly patching" disabled I ran ScummVM.nds and it worked without a problem.

So if this is the cause of my problem, then I will end up having to keep turning the "On The Fly Patching" on and off to play my games and homebrew apps etc. Either that of turn off the patching altogether.....

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Would it be possible to have something changed in the SCDS1 software that would allow you to set the patching options on individual .nds files - this way you could turn it off globally and only use it on troublesome games?

I am not bothered about the In Game Reset and I find that the original method of storing the save was fine.

2. Jdbye

Suspended Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    1) No, that's what "on-the-fly" means. Maybe you copied over the wrong file?

I don't think the SC DS patches roms it doesn't know the save type for (which it doesn't for any of my homebrew), because all my homebrew has worked fine, but none of the supermode functions work.

3. antwill

Member antwill Better Than You

Australia
    I'm pretty sure you would only run into problems if you patched a game with the supercard software and then tried to play it with the onboard patcher, dldi patching does not effect nor get effected by the new OS on board patching. So you must have not done something right the first time when you tried dldi patching.