Gaming Building my first pc

gregor1997

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Im building a gaming computer at budget 600$-700$. My question is if this computer i built any good or should I change anything?

ASUS P8H67-M
Intel Core i5 2400
Kingston ValueRAM 4GB
Palit GeForce GTX 460
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB
Rasurbo 550W
Xigmatek Asgard

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd suggest Vantec (Had a Vantec Stealth that lasted for 6 years or so) or Thermaltake (my new PSU, has a 5 year warranty).
If your PSU fails it can damage your other components.

Also stay away from cheap brands like Sunbeam for ANYTHING.
Bought a front panel USB/Sound/Card Reader/Fan Control from them that blew out part of my motherboard (thankfully only part of the onboard audio) when I plugged in a USB drive --which also blew.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Be weary that the ASUS P8H67-M will almost certainly (I cba to check) be using the B2 stepping for its Intel 6 series chipset, which has a known design flaw in its SATAII controller that will degrade over time (i.e. they'll stop working after 1-3 years). As long as you're happy using only the SATA3 ports (i.e. being limited to 2 drives, presumably one of which is the DVD drive), then it's perfectly fine. EDIT: If you need more than 2 drives, then expect every drive plugged into SATAII ports to vanish sometime in the semi-distant future.

Also note that a H67 motherboard will not be able to overclock, although it will be able to use the Intel Graphics 2000 built into the Core i5, which only matters if you encounter problems with the GTX 460.

EDIT: Other than that, I see nothing wrong with the listed parts. The above posts are right to advise against cheap PSUs (which have a tendancy to blow up, literally), but the easiest way to check is to look at reviews for Rasurbo PSUs and see if anybody complains of them failing.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Like the other said, DO NOT go for cheap brands, especially on power supply. Even well known (but unreliable) brands like Ultra are not to be toyed with. I bought an Ultra power supply, burnt my motherboard, hard drive and cost me a fortune. A reliable brand is PCP&C, Silverstone, Antec and Corsair is also good.

gregor1997

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Is Corsair CX 600W ok? Also i dont plan on buying this computer before april so that sata error should be fixed by then. Correct me if im wrong.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Based off updates I've been reading, it's not a problem that can be fixed by simply replacing the SATA controller chip (it would just cost too much for that). Instead they're going to release B3-stepping for Intel 6 series chipsets, which won't have that problem. I've heard the revised chipsets are already bring destributed to the major Intel motherboard manufacturers (MSI, Gigabyte and Asus), but there are still no reports of when to expect the revised motherboards to be released to the market.

Just check back again in April and I'll tell you if the situation changes.

Also Corsair are a very good brand, so it'll be fine.

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hard drives are getting dirt cheap. If you can afford to bump it up a bit, do it. 2TB HDDs are at times (I picked up several on Black Friday) under $100.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Sir VG said:
Hard drives are getting dirt cheap. If you can afford to bump it up a bit, do it. 2TB HDDs are at times (I picked up several on Black Friday) under $100.
You also do not want to underspend on HDDs. High quality 1TB still cost $100 to this day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Sup nerds +1