Building a PC

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nevermind, looks like cooling is included... so now its a matter of what other useless crap I should add.

I have 950.01$ left. Don't fail me, GBAtemp.

rashef

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Poland
Add.... to this ? I don't know what will be your work in the future on this machine but for editing movies you could use 2GB more ram... and for everything else i'm sure a Hard Drive could come in handy (not to mention some kind of operating system , not named Vista at least).

EDIT: You will also need some DVD/HD DVD/BluD reader or writer and you will have to buy all the cables that are used to connect hardware to the mainboard (SATA, Power etc.). And i guess you're set to go.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, harddrive, optical drives, video cards, monitor, I just need to know what kind I need, as in what is a good/durable brand.

rashef

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Poland
Good brand... it's just a matter of experience with the brand, as some people can tell you such and such is good whereas someone other will say it sucks so all the prefferencess i'll list are based on my own experience.

Hard-Drive : Western Digital
DVD-recorder : LG
Video-card: Uhh... since i work mostly with text most cards display the same thing for me
Monitor: Any LCD propably... I use Philips and... could be better, could be worse.

I hope that it helped at least a bit.

deduce

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Looks like that barebones kit covers almost everything you need. Only thing missing is a video card, hard drive, and an optical drive. EVGA is a good company for video cards, they have a lifetime warranty and a nice step up program just incase a new card comes out after you bought yours (although it's only valid for 90 days after you buy the card). Seagate makes great hard drives. The ones that feature perpendicular tech are real quick. For optical drives, I've always liked Lite-On. Their drives are quite, quick, and low priced. Don't forgot to buy an OS with that system since it looks like it's not included.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like that barebones kit covers almost everything you need. Only thing missing is a video card, hard drive, and an optical drive. EVGA is a good company for video cards, they have a lifetime warranty and a nice step up program just incase a new card comes out after you bought yours (although it's only valid for 90 days after you buy the card). Seagate makes great hard drives. The ones that feature perpendicular tech are real quick. For optical drives, I've always liked Lite-On. Their drives are quite, quick, and low priced. Don't forgot to buy an OS with that system since it looks like it's not included.
...yeah, sure, buy...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Odd amount of stuff for a "barebones" but that is besides the point.

4GB Blazing Fast Dual-Channel DDR2-800 Memory
This means you will either need vista or a flavour of linux to use it all, of course you can use a fair chunk on XP and nothing will really notice it being missing.

580 Watt Power Supply
Not so sure this will cope with major stuff (i.e. SLI graphics) but it should function for a single card adequately.

Hard disks:
I assume this is for gaming, so a RAID is probably in order.
The WD raptor is still king it seems but I say go with decent 7200rpm drives and stick it in a RAID array (go RAID 5 I say which will require 3 drives): performance will be just as good (assuming you have no desire to split hairs) and space/price will be good too.

Optical, one is pretty much as good as the next. Personally blu ray and or hddvd can sit around for much longer for me but make sure it does both kinds of DVD R (RAM will probably be included but nobody really uses it) as well as dual layer. Litescribe is a waste in my opinion but others really like it. Go with 2 drives as well.

Graphics, ATI is just about there so a week or two may see a price drop. If you want to save some cash the 320 meg version of the 8800 does not give as great a performance hit as you might expect. You could even stand to drop back a generation but that is up to you.

Monitor, I say go with 2 ones. LCD definitely and the trouble starts now, there are all manner of connections going for supremacy and the fact remains the monitor will outlive the system (I am probably an exception but I have decade old monitors still around and being used on my current setup). If you are interested in watching "HD" optical disks with a minimum of hassle you will likely need a monitor with HDCP compliance but quite frankly a couple of nice LCDs with analog connections.
Size: 17 inch minimum, 19 if you can afford it. Alas I do not buy monitors often so I will defer to others here.

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hard Drive - Segate or Western Digital. You may want to consider having a RAID i.e. you could buy 2 drives and have them striped to increase performance or mirrored so if one fails you won't lose your data.

DVD burner - Pioneer or LG. Mind you lots of people seem to like Lite-On on here which is really 'WTF?!'

Graphics card - Well depends how crazy your budget it lol. 8800 series are good cards but you are paying premium for DX10 compatibility which you have to consider a) there are no DX10 games on the market till fall b) you will need Windows Vista. Personally I would save myself a huge stack of cash and get an x1950 or similar now and grab a 8800 or two in 6 months time... but if you've got the cash to blow then who am I to stop you? Considered going SLI?

OS - Tough choice since if you got an 8800 then there's no point having XP, also XP will have trouble seeing that 4GB of RAM, however currently XP is the quicker OS and better of the two for gaming. Personally I'd dual boot...

Monitor - Yes/No?

And I don't understand why you would want 4GB of RAM in there... the difference between 2GB and 4GB is negible. If you want to see an increase in performance use the money towards your graphics card - get an SLI config. ^^

smile.gif

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There isn't much price difference between the two 8800's, so I'm just picking the 640MB.

I don't need 2 monitors, have it on the computer I'm using now and its really useless.

And yeah I'm dual-booting with Ubuntu 7.07 64bit and WinXP Pro 32bit

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hard Drive - Segate or Western Digital. You may want to consider having a RAID i.e. you could buy 2 drives and have them striped to increase performance or mirrored so if one fails you won't lose your data.

DVD burner - Pioneer or LG. Mind you lots of people seem to like Lite-On on here which is really 'WTF?!'

Graphics card - Well depends how crazy your budget it lol. 8800 series are good cards but you are paying premium for DX10 compatibility which you have to consider a) there are no DX10 games on the market till fall b) you will need Windows Vista. Personally I would save myself a huge stack of cash and get an x1950 or similar now and grab a 8800 or two in 6 months time... but if you've got the cash to blow then who am I to stop you? Considered going SLI?

OS - Tough choice since if you got an 8800 then there's no point having XP, also XP will have trouble seeing that 4GB of RAM, however currently XP is the quicker OS and better of the two for gaming. Personally I'd dual boot...

Monitor - Yes/No?

And I don't understand why you would want 4GB of RAM in there... the difference between 2GB and 4GB is negible. If you want to see an increase in performance use the money towards your graphics card - get an SLI config. ^^

smile.gif
Yeah, found 2 good LG ones already.

If I get the x1950 now, and get the 8800 later, I'll end up spending more cash, even with price drops.

SLI maybe, but once I have a bigger grasp of computer tech.

Why no point of xp? Also, I will be doing video editing on Ubuntu, or maybe I wil install vista once all the glitches are sorted.

No, who needs a monitor? I am a robot, and talk to my computer via USB.

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why no point of xp?
Well it was more in reference to you purchasing an OS and having to choose between Vista and XP. Whilst it is not an issue at the moment the 8800 is a DX10 card. DX10 games will not run on XP. Of course if you aren't paying for the OS then you have nothing to worry and it doesn't matter in the slightest since you can just triple boot Vista when Crysis comes out.

smile.gif

fischju_original

I used to be a jerk before i got banned
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.dpgdownloads.com
XP
Country
United States
2 8800GTS would cost about as much, and combined have more ram than a single GTX. Would be very helpful in DX10 games (There are DX10 demos that you can download and run btw, check guru3d.com)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn