Building a mini PC?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Harsky, Jul 31, 2008.

Jul 31, 2008

Building a mini PC? by Harsky at 2:43 PM (1,176 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I am toying about with the idea of building a mini PC with the sole intention of using it to download torrents and since I figured that I don't need a power hungry machine, I thought I could go for one of the mini PC. What are the recommended components to get and which is the best maker for the case?

2. jpxdude

Member jpxdude GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Check out www.mini-itx.com

I have been using a shuttle machine for the last couple of years, but my future project is going to be building a tiny pc using the ITX standard, which is a fully functioning motherboard at approximately 17x17cm in size.

Check out some of the projects on that site, including the PC in a windows XP box, and a GTA PC. I want to build one for a media centre once I decide to get a HDTV :-P

GTAPC
    http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/gta-pc/?p

Windows XP Box
    http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/windowsxpbox/?p

I'm waiting for the Intel Fly-Creek motherboards which should allow for some pretty powerful CPU's to be used.

3. perkele

Member perkele GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    Just get a Western Digital Mybook World Edition and install Transmission on it.

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I am pretty sure there are several xbox torrent (and even usenet) clients so that should be a good route.

Stick a version of linux on there (x-DSL or something) and you are sorted. Better yet I seem to recall a python script or two that could do the same thing.

Xbox £50 at the high end (you do not need a DVD drive so you could even score an xbox with a busted one at a slightly lower price).
    Big IDE drive: also about £50 these days for 500 gigs.

XBMC can also play back just about everything and setting up a share should not be that hard either.

5. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    i do have a modded Xbox with XBMC and a 200gb HDD but it never occurred to me that a torrent client can be run on it. Shame I'm not linux literate

6. sepinho

Member sepinho GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    .. or you could just re-use an old PC in case you have one lying around. Or buy a cheap, old business-class computer on Ebay. Personally, I'm using my _ancient_ P3-700 as fileserver and seedbox running tf-b4rt and an even older Dell P3-450 for my IPCop firewall. Energy consumption for both would be negligible, if it weren't for the numerous hard disks in the file server. I'm gonna have to consolidate those in the near future!