Build your own GHOT Add-On

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by darkangel5000, Aug 6, 2008.

Aug 6, 2008
  1. darkangel5000
    OP

Member darkangel5000 GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Since I'm not sure if i am allowed to post links to my website here, I'm posting it simply here.
    I decided to write this How-To... or... well... whatever this is *ugh*, because I searched the net all day and nite long (for two weeks? ._.) for such a instruction.
    I was tired of playing GHOT with the ABXY-Hack or with the Guitar Grip, that hurts my hand as hell, so... this was created :q
    here you go:

HOW TO: Make your own Huitar Gero DS Add-On thingy.

What you'll need:

4× 270 ? Resistors
    2× 2,7 k? Resistors
    1× 0 ? Resistor
    4× Push-Buttons
    Old GBA cartdridge or the NDS Lite dust cover
    drilled board or old PCB from something or simply etch it yourself [​IMG]
    wire (?)
    Plexiglas (2 mm thickness)
    Solderiron (15W max)
    Solder (0,3 mm to 1,00 mm)
    Various tools

Warning: Spoilers inside!
    That's basically eveything you need to make a working Add-On for GH On Tour...
    SH-..., WHERES THE SOLDER IRON?! Just kidding, it wouldnt have fitted on the screen.

How to Build!
    The preperations:
    The GBA-Slot thing:

You simply get an old GBA-Game or your NDS-Lite dust-cover.

For GBA-Gamecarts:
    Since I doesnt wanted to destroy my dust-cover, i just took some
    shitty roller-scooter-blahfu game and took it apart. I had now the
    PCB of the cart and the casing.
    I took the PCB and a x-acto knife and started to cut my way
    through the copper circuts near the connector-pins. I thought that it
    would be enough and I took the bloody bastard and broke my way
    through it's innards with my bare hands.
    No, seriously, break it with your hands, after you worked with the
    x-acto on it. That's the easiest way to tear the pin-bar from the other
    half of the PCB.

That's the part we'll need later :q

The following part isn't needed if you own a DS Phat
    After you got the pin-bar, the cartdridge itself has to make its time.
    I held the dust-cover against the GBA-cart and looked where I have
    to draw lines, so I will later know where to cut it.
    So, simply try to make it the size of the dust-cover.
    And don't forget the notches at the back, otherwise it won't get in
    the GBA Slot of your DS Lite.

Yo, wuts going on here.

In the end I've cut the top of the cart off, because I knew there would
    be some wire looking out, later... ?_?"

I fit flush in thy ds. :3

For the ones who would like to destroy their dustcover:
    Open it, cut off the top and leave anything at it is
    The "Motherboard":
    So at this point we'll build the part with the most wires and resistors and.... .... I simply call it "Motherboard" for now,
    because here is happening the whole magic (blablah you need the Guitargrip in order to play blahblah protection, etc.)

The PCB.... Now you know where to solder the different parts.

Pin-bar-assignment

Okay... and thats how my realization is looking like. Not as fine soldered as it could be done, but it does it's Job: It's working.

At this part, there isn't much explaining.

The "Fretboard":
    Okay, the Motherboard was the more difficult part, now we make the fretboard.
    If you are using a drilled board, please solder the Buttons at one point first and look if it fit to your fingers needs.
    If it doesn't: De-solder and try it again, a bit more together or more apart. [​IMG]
    As speaking for myself: I setted up the buttons in "3-dot" gaps on a drilled board with a raster of 2,5mm and it is just fine.

It is just fine.

After you've soldered the buttons on... whatever you solder on.... look on which pins it does "press the fret"
    Simply try it with a battery and a LED. I made the mistake and instead of pressing the fret ingame
    i was releasing it. *facepalm*

I had a great Idea for the GND-Wire: So i won't have 4 wires late, I took one and
    soldered it on one of the Buttons, then I layed it down and looked where i would have to solder
    the other three and marked it with my water-proof pen. i took the wire again and scratched little holes out of it..
    idk how to explain this part.... hm... just look:

Not phenomenal, but I like it. Oh, and look at that, the buttons are already soldered!

Since here isn't too much about reading too, heres the circut for the fretboard

wat.

That's mine. Again.

?_?":
    This would be the assembly or wiring I think.

You solder the GndBYRG Parts from the Fretboard with the GndBYRG Parts from the Motherboard.
    When done, you simply glue the Pin-bar in place in the GBA-cart housing or dust-cover. And guess what? SOLDER D:
    When you've soldered the Cables from the Motherboard to the pins described above, simply screw the
    gba cart or dust cover together and stick it into your DS/Lite.

If you've worked well enough, you can play now GHOT with your own Grip-Like add-on.
    ... at least it should feel better than with the ABXY-Hack Arm7hack.

The glory of an assembled, selfmade GHOT add-on D:

Housing for the selfmade add-on:
    Follows when my plexiglass arrives here.

©2008
    This how-to is property of darkangel5000/darkangel5855/darkangel/darki or whatever I'm nicknamed on any website.
    It was written for study-purposes only. I, darki, dont want to harm any company or wutever with this how-to.
    Guitar Hero, Guitar Grip, Guitar hero on Tour and everything else are trademarks to their respective owners

Blahblah, not quite perfect. To be precise, its very far away from it, but better than nothing, right? ._.
    Any answer like thanks or whatever, even if its just trolling is appreciated. I hope you can make something out of it.

Whatever, I'm tired and going to bed right now. G'night.

2. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    Did you make this or did you find a guide online. [​IMG]

Edit: Noticed the note at the bottom. Nice job BTW.

It's kinda big though?

3. darkangel5000
    OP

Germany
    I know, I hope i can make it tinyer from time to time (maybe a 2nd one for my nephew [​IMG]).
    And after finishing this tut, i've cut off the "useless" / unsoldered board, so it's tinier. Still huge but tinier. D:

But I think once the housing is done, it won't look all that bad at all... or maybe it will look even stranger :q
    /e: Hum, don't know if one can get it out of the context: I meant with the housing one like the one of the GuitarGrip. Something you can hold with one hand. Hm, well. Let's see when the plexiglass arrives.. ._."

4. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    No offense, but I would rather pay the $50 than try to play with that thing! I'd break it in like 2 days!

5. jaywilson

Member jaywilson GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    that heaps cool.

how hard would it be too make it so, that everything fitted into the slot-2 dust cover?

6. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    That'd be hard.
    A GBA game just maybe, dust cover I have no idea how.

7. Steevsee

Newcomer Steevsee Advanced Member

Australia
    Looks like a fun project! I might have to give it a try.
    Thanks for sharing

8. Ramu

Newcomer Ramu Newbie

France
    Hey thanks for this tutorial, I was also looking for something like that over the web since last week !

I've tried to "sum up" the 2 schemes you've made into one which I think makes things easier to understand :
    [​IMG]

But I'm not sure this is what you meant. Is that correct ?
    Please note that I have voluntarily omitted the R3 resistor which is 0 ohms and therefore seems totally useless and that there are connections between wires only if there is a big dot at the intersection.

Hope to read from you soon.

Ramu

9. Reconnin

Newcomer Reconnin Member

United States
    how much would something like this cost to make?

10. darkangel5000
    OP

Germany
    Thanks for this, it should make things really easier to understand and even easier to build.
    It should work, since it looks correct, although I'm not quite sure if it works without the 0 Ohm resistor.

Whatever, I can try constructing it by tommorow and i'll let you know if it works properly =D

note to myself, so I don't forget it again ==": Would be fine to find little switches anywhere in my room to make it fit into a GBA cart or something like that, So I don't have to build again a monster like the protoype ;_;"

@reconnin: If I would assume that you already have a solderiron, solder, wire and an old gba-cart - the cost of the rest would be less than 10$. I had to order Wire and the switches additional to the drilled board and the resistors and paid only 6 or 7€.... and that would be like what, 10,50$?

11. nyaonyao

Newcomer nyaonyao Member

Philippines
    WOW! Great project! Good luck on making it tinier!

12. Xeijin

Member Xeijin GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I'm impressed but . . .

. . . You could save yourself a SHIT LOAD of hassle by just buying the game legitly. I mean with all this pirating surely people have saved enough money to buy it.

Besides it doesn't exactly seem practical, or pretty in it's final form. I doubt plexiglass will do much to help that.

13. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    To me that says that he already has the guitar grip, and that it hurts his hand and he would rather make something more comfortable.

14. carterman

Member carterman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Good luck on trying to figure out a good solution, but I think you might have trouble beating RedOctane at their own game, but I admire the homebrewing spirit! [​IMG]

15. jaywilson

Member jaywilson GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    could you use the spare gba slot bit you get with GH;OT
    the one that you screw on if you use a ds phat

i know frack all about electronic, but couldnt you just connect the buttons to that or something

16. darkangel5000
    OP

Germany
    I think you didn't get the point.
    First of all, what about the FretFury-Ppl out there? Yeah, you can play it also with ABXY, but buying GHOT for the "real thing"? Ugh, thanks, no interest.
    And after all, I didn't made it to be pretty or to stand in contest with the real GG, I made it because it could be helpful for some ppl out there, as it could've been to me, if I found something similiar before I bought GHOT...

P.S: I'm starting to build it again, this time tinier, more useable and modelled on the scheme by ramu, right now. :3

17. ciper

Member ciper GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I contemplated doing something similar except with micro switches right into the side of the cartridge. Your guide was helpful in understanding just how simple this can be made! Don't let the other members get you down - they don't understand why someone would want to make this themselves.

18. darkangel5000
    OP

Germany
    So, as I said, I was building it. Now I finished it. It fits in a normal GBA Cartdridge und is working fine :3

But, I dont know why, but it IS NOT working, if you leave the 0 Ohm resistor out. Dunno.
    /edit: Maybe it is. I just remembered,that the cart in the dust-cover wouldnt fit in properly, without using force. But I discovered that as it was already too late =="
    The innards are like:
    http://s5.directupload.net/images/080822/xlpetj7b.jpg

And the outcome looks like this:
    http://s5.directupload.net/images/080822/fasbckak.jpg

Hell, the old hot glue looks disgusting.

So this should prove that modifications can easily be done to make the thing even more tiny, etc. If I would've etched it and had SMD-resistors, it wouldn't even have been needed to glue the whole thing together.

Hell yeah! Nice to see, that other tempers are doing well with this [​IMG]
    Have you any pics of it? I would like to see it =D

And the thing with the selfmadeblargh: tks for the cheering up! [​IMG]
    Even irl I know a lot of people who don't understand and always moan why I am doing things by myself, if I could simply buy 'em..... *sigh*

19. ciper

Member ciper GBAtemp Regular

United States
  20. darkangel5000
    OP

Germany
    I thought about a 5-minute epoxy too... but then it came to my mind, that I used the last drops of it for my parkflyer. xD"

But next week I'm getting 2 new flasks (? - little bottles. Tiny bottles. Whatever, bottles with each 400gr of the stuff) full of hardener and resin, switches, smd-resistors and a shitty gba game, so i can do it better then. [​IMG]