bsnes v0.029 released

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by hanman, Mar 21, 2008.

Mar 21, 2008

bsnes v0.029 released by hanman at 3:04 PM (2,091 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. hanman
    OP

Member hanman I'm a pretty lucky guy

United States
    Byuu has updated his awesome SNES emulator, bsnes to v0.029

You can get it Here.

2. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    bsnes is an emulator that began development on 2004-10-14. The purpose of this emulator is a bit different from others: it focuses on accuracy, debugging functionality, and clean code.

The emulator does not focus on things that would hinder accuracy. This includes speed and game-specific hacks for compatibility. As a result, the minimum system requirements for bsnes are very high.

The emulator itself was not derived from any existing emulator source code, such as SNES9x. It was written from scratch by myself. Any similarities to other emulators are merely coincidental.

3. hanman
    OP

United States
    the compatibility of this emulator is amazing. assuming your game doesn't have a special chip (Super FX, etc.) then it will most likely run absolutely perfectly. it does require a fairly beefy system, but nothing too extravagant.

4. Nottulys

Member Nottulys GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Is this only for CPUs?

5. hanman
    OP

United States
    i assume you mean PCs? then yes...this is not for consoles.

6. Shidori

Newcomer Shidori Newbie

France
    A 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo recommanded to run a 17 years old system with a 3,58MHz 16 bits processor ???

"nothing too extravagant" indeed [​IMG]

Well at least games are looking fine and very accurate. But it needs to be faster!

7. Joey Ravn

Member Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Spain
    I've always thought Zsnes and SnesX9 were "perfect" emulators. What are the advantages of BSnes over those? Because, as Shidori says, there must be something that justifies those really high requirements :S

8. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    Sure it's accurate, but that doesn't make it better than other emulators since those actually work...

...good

9. ItsMetaKnight

Member ItsMetaKnight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Denmark
    can i run this on my DS?

10. Tony_92

Newcomer Tony_92 Advanced Member

Finland
    *sigh* Did you even read the comments? It's for PC not for DS.

11. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    No and it won't ever be possible to port it to the DS, I can't even run it at full speed on my computer...

12. Clements

Newcomer Clements Member

United Kingdom
    ZSNES/Snes9x are far from perfect - they have inaccurate sound for starters and at least 40 known issues (with the emulation of the base SNES) apiece, whereas bsnes has none (0) with every SNES game in GoodSNES tested.

bsnes offers perfect accuracy with games that do not use certain special chips and special controllers. Also, it runs fullspeed for me unless I use hq2x/NTSC filters. For fans of games like Chrono Trigger, this is the best emulator to use accuracy-wise provided your system has a fairly modern CPU.

13. MaelstromVale

Newcomer MaelstromVale Member

United States
    I think the point is mostly just to have a perfect emulator rather than a makeshift affair that runs "most things pretty good." A mostly 'academic' pursuit, so to speak. It's probably more of a statement on the emulation scene that's leaned more and more towards "emulating well enough for us to steal games" than "emulating well" over the years. Even so, it gives some benefit to us, just not right now.

To this day, ZSNES and snes9x aren't perfect, and often get farther away with each release. ZSNES especially likes to break previously working games on new updates. The last time I upgraded ZSNES, for example, SMRPG suddenly started having constant stuttering. Of course there was no immediate solution, just the typical suggestion to use the last release and hope someone bothers to fix it in 6 months. I suppose the benefit in bsnes is that in say a few more years when processing power runs like water something that's been mashed together and hacked repeatedly to get everything working will seem pointless in comparison to something that plays with perfect accuracy. Even just playing bsnes for a while (on only an athlon 3000+) I could immediately tell the quality difference.

14. Deletable_Man

Member Deletable_Man Old Man

United States
    This is great news. Anyone who thinks hacked speed is better than accuracy, please download Nestopia, an NES emulator. In my opinion it is what all emulators should strive to be. Perfection.

bsnes is the best thing to happen to snes emulation in a long time.

15. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    thats due to their difference in their architecture that the PC and SNES differ in big.
    Like they say PS2 has just 32MG of ram, how my computer with 2GIG is not still enough, thats due to the different structure of PC RAM vs. PS2's RAM (you can grow this to CPU, GPU and other aspects of consoles).

So thats why its hard to emulate them and need of higher hardware.

16. Mr Slug

Newcomer Mr Slug Advanced Member

United States
    Anyone help with this in bsnes v0.030

when i select full screen mode it goes full screen but a big black border all round a little screen of game running, ie it dont stretch full to fit screen, even the window modes bigger :S

also i have a USB 360 dongle that lets me use 360 wireless joypads on PC but when i try to map the keys in the assign joypad keys it wont map so i cant use a joypad??? (joypad works with all other emu's i have no problems so its not joypad)