Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
BS-X Satellaview
Reviving with Emulation
95_Nintendo_Satellaview_BS-X_Other.jpg

The BS-X Satellaview was an add-on released in Japan which allowed users to download exclusive games, magazines, and other extras directly to their SNES. The most well known game released on the service was BS_Zelda_no_Densetsu, a game that featured full voice acting. A project has emerged which aims to recreate the service using emulation and computer servers. For more information check the project post link below.

QUOTE said:
What's done?
Well, I have done the first homebrew for Satellaview, saw how the SRAM checksum worked (so you can edit it), and made the BS-X "Downloading" something!

What to do now?
Figure out the BS-X Download Data "Format". That's where everything gets difficult.

So, I wanted to talk about that project here, and maybe make the first Satellaview server (which I want to do)! Also, how am i doing this? I'm doing this with bsnes and its debugger, and also with hacking the BS-X to figure out some things. In other words, I’m doing all this with emulators, hence why the slogan : "Reviving with Emulation".

icon11.gif
 Project Post
icon11.gif
 Satellaview Broadcast Game List

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
While this would make me happier, I'll quote Byuu here in his page on preservation of the SNES.

QUOTE said:
But What About the BS-X Satellaview?

The truth of the matter is that most of these games are irreparably lost forever already. And those that remain are stored on extremely volatile flash memory. Not only does this mean the memory will fail an order of magnitude sooner than mask ROMs, it also means it is possible to tamper with.

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Rydian said:
While this would make me happier, I'll quote Byuu here in his page on preservation of the SNES.

QUOTE said:
But What About the BS-X Satellaview?

The truth of the matter is that most of these games are irreparably lost forever already. And those that remain are stored on extremely volatile flash memory. Not only does this mean the memory will fail an order of magnitude sooner than mask ROMs, it also means it is possible to tamper with.

I'm sure Nintendo have all of them (including actor voice recording) safe in their archive.

But they'll certainly never release them (and probably trash them one day or another).

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
JinTrigger said:
Interesting...I've always wanted to play BS Zelda. I remember having something like this for my Genesis...believe it was called sega channel

Oh god I LOVED sega channel. It was so awesome.

Anyway...my question is...I have a lot of BS-X roms, but when I load them up in snes9x, it says "SRAM not found". So is that SNES9x not reading the SRAM data, or is that held in a separate file?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
TwinRetro said:
Anyway...my question is...I have a lot of BS-X roms, but when I load them up in snes9x, it says "SRAM not found". So is that SNES9x not reading the SRAM data, or is that held in a separate file?

when bs-x emulation comes into questions there are 3 emulators that come to mind. bsnes, zsnes, and snes9x. usually for snes9x the sram saves will not work so you will need to rely on save states. zsnes v1.14r0.80 is the one i see recommended for a few specific games.

QUOTE(LuigiBlood @ Oct 29 2010, 09:18 AM) I didn't saw that coming...
But anyway, i'm the only one working on this project.
Any help would be nice.

i hope my news post brings you some help. gbatemp is a thriving community and you might be able to find a few people here who are interested in getting involved.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.