BS Store policy?

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Early this week I bought an iPod touch at a store thinking I could return it, I go to return it at the store and they tell me the item can not be returned because it has been open. Do you guy's think this policy is fair?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yes.
You could've dropped it in water, hacked it which voids it's warranty or whatever similar

Would you for example, buy a set of underwear that has been worn before and then returned to the store?

Reactions: TripleSMoon

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes.
You could've dropped it in water, hacked it which voids it's warranty or whatever similar

Would you for example, buy a set of underwear that has been worn before and then returned to the store?

They obviously test them before accepting the return.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Early this week I bought an iPod touch at a store thinking I could return it, I go to return it at the store and they tell me the item can not be returned because it has been open. Do you guy's think this policy is fair?

It depends on the store's official return policy.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've seen it multiple times that people come back to the store and say their device isn't working.
They obviously don't say they they voided their warranty by hacking it or whatever, but this is to 9/10 times.

Especially with electronics.

Another reason could be that they see that every sale is final.
Which is incredibly common.
They can give you store credit but they won't give your money back.

If you don't want it anymore, sell it off on ebay.
Best solution there is.

nukeboy95

Old skool member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

i would have gotten at costco there return policy is great

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's standard to not accept returns on opened electronics at every store i've ever heard of.
you shouldn't buy and open such expensive things if you didn't want them.

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
many store has a no return if opened policy
it noting new
some stores are a replace with same item policy (that is the item your is defective in some way)

and
some have a, no return or replace you will need contact the manufacturer, to do anything with the item

the store will NOT be able to resell an open item

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
If there isn't anything wrong with the product then it's fair. It's hard to sell things opened, especially electronics, without a fairly good discount.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes.

Comparing underwear to electronics.

Ok then.

Reactions: K3Nv2

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Depending on the country you live in, Trade Standards may or may not regulate these issues. The fact that your item has been opened is irrelevant unless there's some obvious damage to the item that you've caused.

Since you live in the States, each state regulates its own Return Policies. It'd be helpful if you mentioned which State you bought the item in and whether or not you have the receipt.

For example, here's an excerpt of Californian official return policy:
(...) California law requires that retailers who have a policy of not providing a cash refund, credit or exchange when an item is returned with proof of purchase within 7 days of purchase must inform consumers about their refund policies by conspicuously placing a written notice about their policies, in language that consumers can understand, so that it can be easily seen and read. Some companies may limit exchanges or returns for credit or refunds on all, or some products. Some may not allow exchanges or returns for credit or refunds at all. But whatever the limitation, it must be conspicuously disclosed. Before making a purchase, carefully check the store's policy. (...) The policy must be displayed either at each entrance to the store, at each cash register and sales counter, on tags attached to each item, or on the company's order forms, if any. A return policy printed only on a receipt, for example, is not sufficient. If a store violates this law (California Civil Code section 1723), the purchaser can return an item for a full refund within 30 days of purchase.

~http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/refund_policies

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depending on the country you live in, Trade Standards may or may not regulate these issues. The fact that your item has been opened is irrelevant unless there's some obvious damage to the item that you've caused.

Since you live in the States, each state regulates its own Return Policies. It'd be helpful if you mentioned which State you bought the item in and whether or not you have the receipt.

For example, here's an excerpt of Californian official return policy:

I live in Kansas and the store was Target

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
That's a pretty standard policy in stores in my city, especially with game stores and the like. Once the seal's been broken they MIGHT exchange something for store credit, but as for a full refund, you need some pretty compelling evidence that you deserve one. It used to be the case that you could return a game simply if you didn't like it after trying it out, but people like...well, me, to be honest, were treating the stores as a rental service. So policy was changed. I can still ninja my way around it most of the time though. Telling them there's an unavoidable glitch near the end of the game that wipes your save data is one of my best moves. What are they gonna do, check? Works especially well when they're busy. They'll give me the full refund just to get me out of the way :P

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Here you go - with the power of Google I give you Target's refund policies:
refund/exchange policy

Most unopened items in new condition returned within 90 days will receive a refund or exchange. Some items have a modified return policy. Those items will show either a “return by” or "return within" day range under the item on your receipt or packing slip and in the "Item details, shipping" tab if purchased on Target.com. Items that are opened or damaged or do not have a packing slip or receipt may be denied a refund or exchange. All bundled items must be returned with all components for a refund. (...)

exceptions (...)

The following items must be returned within 30 days: netbooks, laptops, eReaders, tablets, cameras, camcorders, digital audio players, GPS systems, video game hardware, personal DVD players, and no-contract cell phones.

~http://www.target.com/HelpContent?h...gets_return_policy/targets_return_policy.html

...and from the iPad's Shipping and Returns section:

Return Method:
This item can be returned to any Target store or Target.com.
http://www.target.com/p/apple-ipad-...-a/-/A-14213694#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=iPad

Looks like you should call Customer Support - the issue is pretty vague. Technically you have 30 days to return it, but practically the return may be denied since it's open. These terms are pretty unclear.

Reactions: nukeboy95

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They keep telling me that I can return it then in the next breath they check with another person all of them claiming to be supervisors then they say it can't be open because theres nothing wrong with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1