Brutal Legend creator making Sesame Street video game

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Guild McCommunist, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    [​IMG]

Tim Schafer's Double Fine Productions – maker of Costume Quest and Stacking - is creating a Kinect-enabled Sesame Street game for Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.

Really.

Sesame Street: Once Upon A Monster is described as an "uplifting storybook romp" and an "active, family game". It'll launch this autumn.

"In a truly original interactive experience, young players join Cookie Monster, Elmo and other Sesame Street characters as they explore a living storybook titled Once Upon a Monster," reads the excited official blurb.

"In the book, they make new zany monster friends from the Once Upon a Monster world and share in their adventures, solving problems, forging friendships and learning key life skills along the way. Parents and children literally become part of the whimsical storybook adventure by getting active together through dancing, jumping, flying and more. "

Here's what Psychonauts and Brutal Legend creator Tim Schafer had to say: "It's great to be working with Warner Bros., especially on a game like Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster, which brings together so many things we all care about.

"Sesame Street had a profound effect on me, and many members of the Double Fine team, when we were children. So did videogames. Now many of us are parents and we want to share with our kids the great experiences we had, but also the completely new ones made possible by cutting-edge technology like Kinect for Xbox 360. So it's a labour of love on many levels."

In a July 2010 interview with Eurogamer, Schafer discussed Microsoft's motion-sensing Xbox 360 add-on.

"It'll work with games that were, from the ground up, conceived to be Kinect games," he said. "Not ports of existing games. That's what we haven't seen yet. All the new games that would be imagined for the Kinect."
    [/p]

Source

Featuring a cameo from Jack Black!

Seriously, what the fuck. Costume Quest was kinda a kiddy game but still got pretty decent scores. I can't really see how he's gone from fucking Psychonauts and Brutal Legend to Sesame Street games.

2. Oveneise

Member Oveneise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    This stop sign is an octagon!

3. Zerousen

Member Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

United States
    Well, it seems that the creator wasn't a bad guy. I've usually imagined creators of the games to be like the guys who play them.

4. DryYoshi

Member DryYoshi Love child of Dry Bones and Yoshi

Netherlands
    I lol'd.
    Jack Black has been on iCarly (I love iCarly), but Sesame Street? Really?

5. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Well Schafer's games haven't been like terribly violent outside of Brutal Legend. Psychonauts was nice and his studio also made Stacking and Costume Quest. I don't know if he's doing this as kinda a nostalgia trip to his childhood or if he's just saying that to justify making a shovelware Kinect game.

6. stanleyopar2000

Member stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

United States
    who cares about Jack Black?

we have someone here who made FULL THROTTLE, GRIM FANDANGO, and the epic MONKEY ISLAND making..........THIS!?.......

and Full Throttle was slightly violent as the main hero's old friend get's his head smashed in by a 2X4. killing him o_o

besides that point :

What have you done Tim?

what have you DONE?

7. jelmew

Member jelmew GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Well, maybe he can make a proper game out of it, better then al those shovelware-studios.

8. Wombo Combo

Member Wombo Combo That Ain't Falco

United States
    [youtube]Wu22qFCin9U[/youtube]

9. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Well making a shovelware look, feel, and play good has been a real challenge for all game developers lately. To me games in general has been a real challenge for players to appreciate it.

Off-Topic: I just been looking at Marvel vs Capcom 3 on youtube and to me its nothing but an eye-candy whore from the very the start. I just personally feel most games these days are just recycling over each other.

10. worlok375

Member worlok375 GBAtemp's prince

United States
    I've loved every Double-Fine game I've ever played Brutal Legend, Psychonauts, Stacking, Costume Quest, all great games! But this? I don't even know what to think. I must admit, I'm kind of jealous that I wont be able to play it...unless I make my friends get it.

11. GameWinner

Member GameWinner Take your heart

United States
    Will it feature letters of the day? XD

12. ZeroTm

Member ZeroTm GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    All I want is brutal legend 2. Got the first one for 10 bucks and I'm absolutely loving it.