Browserhax is being blocked even on older firmwares

Hey guys, I have some pretty bad news for a lot of people in the 3DS scene.

Last night, Smealum tweeted the following message:
upload_2015-10-27_0-10-8.png

In addition, according to a couple of users on Reddit, even using the Tubehax DNS isn't going to keep you safe as it appears that Nintendo has added another update server (which means that even people using OpenDNS to block their URLs aren't completely safe). According to Reddit user /u/shiny_banana "the server in question (cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net) isn't currently blocked by Smealum's DNS."

Users unfortunate enough to get caught by Nintendo when trying to use Browserhax will be greeted with the following screen (courtesy of /u/Fuyuri):
upload_2015-10-27_0-32-9.png

This news makes me extremely curious as many of us weren't aware that Nintendo was even able to do something like this on older firmwares. It's enough to make me wonder what else Nintendo is capable of doing that most of us assumed was impossible. Is this limited to certain firmwares or are people using 9.2 and below in trouble (Edit: It appears to only be happening on systems that are 9.9 and above)? Is it possible for Nintendo to go the route of the Wii U and stealthily update 3DS systems in the future? Could you be playing a game online and then suddenly have your system updated without a confirmation? Will they be able to block Ironfall and Cubic Ninja? There are so many questions and so few answers now.

I highly advise people at this point to simply disconnect their 3DSes from the internet until we learn more. Those who are blocking Nintendo's update servers may be able to stay safe if they block the following URL in addition to the others: cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net. That said, who knows if there are more servers that haven't been discovered yet.

Edit: Tubehax has been updated to block the new server so people who rely on it can continue to do so.

Check out this post by @daxtsu who has been following along with these developments and has kindly consolidated as much information as we know into one post.

Matthew Doyle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

EMP Knightmare

Fixing GBATemp's Feng Shui Engine (using Win XP)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to give this a shot, thanks. :)

It just does the same error for me.

I wonder if there is a way to view webpages like a psp when you typed in file:\\\ or something like that. That would make the exploit work for sure.

I tried to follow this tutorial https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-webkithax-exploit-homemenühax-themehax-exploit-noob-guide.398238/ and now I have a message saying this instead:

"In order to use the internet browser, a system update is required. To perform a system update, select System Update from Other Settings in System Settings."

It makes sense, but why did the error above change to this?

Dude double/triple posting is a no no here, if anything use the edit feature on your original post please ^_^

Matthew Doyle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude double/triple posting is a no no here, if anything use the edit feature on your original post please ^_^

I'm sorry. I don't do a lot of forums, and it has been a while since I have been on a forum and posted. I'm just trying to get things figured out, I'm sure you understand.

I'll try to delete my other posts.

I was also trying to reply to conversations and not double post...

Last edited by Matthew Doyle,

mc-kiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Is this true ? I was gonna sell cubic Ninja but now ???

Damn i dont know i have a n3ds 9.0 just sold GW

What do you guys think ?

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look at the interval of when he posted his replies, 1hr, 17minutes...etc...etc. I'm sure the forum has an interval of when they automatically merge threads.

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm super curious if 9.2 or older firmwares will be hit with this too. I don't leave my 3DS online long enough besides to boot the GW. The GW android app doesn't function right with 5.0 and higher so I have to enable actual tethering. :angry: But if I have my other phone with 4.4 it doesn't go online period. So hopefully this won't happen at all on 9.2 or older.

thealgorithm

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm super curious if 9.2 or older firmwares will be hit with this too. I don't leave my 3DS online long enough besides to boot the GW. The GW android app doesn't function right with 5.0 and higher so I have to enable actual tethering. :angry: But if I have my other phone with 4.4 it doesn't go online period. So hopefully this won't happen at all on 9.2 or older.
There is probably more higher chance of this happening in later firmwares. I am just keeping the sysnand on 4.5 and always nearly in emunand so not too important for me to update the sysnand to a higher version

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
It would have to have been included with the 9.2 firmware update so I don't think so. On 9.9 it was installed like a remote bomb, they activated it later on.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Today I tried to visit a website on my GW emuNAND (10.1.0-27E), and a couple of weeks ago it worked fine, but now it asked me to update in order to let me visit ANY web page.
4.5 sysNAND seems fine, for how long though...
I hope they won't patch DS profile exploit.

thealgorithm

Trophies
XP
Country
Today I tried to visit a website on my GW emuNAND (10.1.0-27E), and a couple of weeks ago it worked fine, but now it asked me to update in order to let me visit ANY web page.
4.5 sysNAND seems fine, for how long though...
I hope they won't patch DS profile exploit.
The later firmwares more than likely had the "timebomb" which activated and blocked the browser.

You are probably safe with the sysnand on 4.5 however as this is very unlikely to have this mechanism in the firmware to block the browser

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL