Browserhax is being blocked even on older firmwares

Hey guys, I have some pretty bad news for a lot of people in the 3DS scene.

Last night, Smealum tweeted the following message:
upload_2015-10-27_0-10-8.png

In addition, according to a couple of users on Reddit, even using the Tubehax DNS isn't going to keep you safe as it appears that Nintendo has added another update server (which means that even people using OpenDNS to block their URLs aren't completely safe). According to Reddit user /u/shiny_banana "the server in question (cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net) isn't currently blocked by Smealum's DNS."

Users unfortunate enough to get caught by Nintendo when trying to use Browserhax will be greeted with the following screen (courtesy of /u/Fuyuri):
upload_2015-10-27_0-32-9.png

This news makes me extremely curious as many of us weren't aware that Nintendo was even able to do something like this on older firmwares. It's enough to make me wonder what else Nintendo is capable of doing that most of us assumed was impossible. Is this limited to certain firmwares or are people using 9.2 and below in trouble (Edit: It appears to only be happening on systems that are 9.9 and above)? Is it possible for Nintendo to go the route of the Wii U and stealthily update 3DS systems in the future? Could you be playing a game online and then suddenly have your system updated without a confirmation? Will they be able to block Ironfall and Cubic Ninja? There are so many questions and so few answers now.

I highly advise people at this point to simply disconnect their 3DSes from the internet until we learn more. Those who are blocking Nintendo's update servers may be able to stay safe if they block the following URL in addition to the others: cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net. That said, who knows if there are more servers that haven't been discovered yet.

Edit: Tubehax has been updated to block the new server so people who rely on it can continue to do so.

Check out this post by @daxtsu who has been following along with these developments and has kindly consolidated as much information as we know into one post.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In case no one else mentioned it it says in the System Settings manual, Nintendo reserves the right to install 'Minor' updates to your system without confirmation.

sliver123

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have a old 3ds xl 10.0.1-27E(browser kicks me to homemenu) but i forgot that i also have a old 3ds with firmware 6.1.0-9E, what will be the best to use on it?

AshleyCummings

Gamer Girl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo can do all it wants the ones that lived through all there hammering the ones still with the hacks just won ... We now have eshop access and rom hacks and can game online with hans plus unlimited demos and homebrew as long as u keep the system offline when not near it and you set up back up like if you have ironhax set up themehax as well just in case any issues come up with the app ones, this one boots from the start instead of a app on homemenu..Nintendo may hate homebrew but sadly the 3DS and WiiU are gonna trickle out of the watch once the newer system is announced then it's a freefor all so just hang in there for now treasure what hax you have !

Last edited by AshleyCummings,

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
In case no one else mentioned it it says in the System Settings manual, Nintendo reserves the right to install 'Minor' updates to your system without confirmation.
It's funny because it's so vague. What constitutes as minor? Some would say the fact that almost the entire 9.x-10.x branch of firmwares full of stability improvements were minor. I think Nintendo could easily get away with force updating systems.

Reactions: Seriel

Matthew Doyle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saved the browserhax page to try to host it using an app called Palapa Web Server and the hotspot feature on my phone. So far I have no luck, but I'll let you guys know if that changes.

Update: When I change the dns to 8.8.8.8 So far when I try to connect with my 3ds, it gives me an error message saying "The internet browser cannot be used at this time. Please check your network and try again.

Just in case anyone wants to know, the software version for my 2ds is Ver. 10.1.0-27U

Last edited by Matthew Doyle,

N0n@me

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saved the browserhax page to try to host it using an app called Palapa Web Server and the hotspot feature on my phone. So far I have no luck, but I'll let you guys know if that changes.

Update: When I change the dns to 8.8.8.8 So far when I try to connect with my 3ds, it gives me an error message saying "The internet browser cannot be used at this time. Please check your network and try again.

Just in case anyone wants to know, the software version for my 2ds is Ver. 10.1.0-27U
Sorry to say but the browser nag bypass is only for n3ds.

Reactions: Matthew Doyle

N0n@me

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh, well that bites.

I wonder if there is any plans to update it in the future.
The Bypass?? It cant really be updated as it is just a mistake on Nintendo part on how much faster the n3ds is compared to the 3ds and 2ds. Any way if you want to see how it is done here is a youtube video that I did to show how I did the bypass .
Some one might be able to find another way to bypass the browser nag seeing people are trying to find ways to bypass it for o3ds.

Reactions: AyanamiRei

Matthew Doyle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Bypass?? It cant really be updated as it is just a mistake on Nintendo part on how much faster the n3ds is compared to the 3ds and 2ds. Any way if you want to see how it is done here is a youtube video that I did to show how I did the bypass .
Some one might be able to find another way to bypass the browser nag seeing people are trying to find ways to bypass it for o3ds.

Sorry, I meant the exploit. :P

Flora Cherry

I'm unhappy
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
the only solution know offline mode going on with dns double as I tried to explain skips 2 min to go but hey my solution is temporary I think nintendo will riposte against the double dns to block all its once again

Matthew Doyle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only solution know offline mode going on with dns double as I tried to explain skips 2 min to go but hey my solution is temporary I think nintendo will riposte against the double dns to block all its once again

Every time I attempt to change the dns, it just gives me the other error though. What dns do you use? Just curious.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.