Browserhax is being blocked even on older firmwares

Hey guys, I have some pretty bad news for a lot of people in the 3DS scene.

Last night, Smealum tweeted the following message:
upload_2015-10-27_0-10-8.png

In addition, according to a couple of users on Reddit, even using the Tubehax DNS isn't going to keep you safe as it appears that Nintendo has added another update server (which means that even people using OpenDNS to block their URLs aren't completely safe). According to Reddit user /u/shiny_banana "the server in question (cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net) isn't currently blocked by Smealum's DNS."

Users unfortunate enough to get caught by Nintendo when trying to use Browserhax will be greeted with the following screen (courtesy of /u/Fuyuri):
upload_2015-10-27_0-32-9.png

This news makes me extremely curious as many of us weren't aware that Nintendo was even able to do something like this on older firmwares. It's enough to make me wonder what else Nintendo is capable of doing that most of us assumed was impossible. Is this limited to certain firmwares or are people using 9.2 and below in trouble (Edit: It appears to only be happening on systems that are 9.9 and above)? Is it possible for Nintendo to go the route of the Wii U and stealthily update 3DS systems in the future? Could you be playing a game online and then suddenly have your system updated without a confirmation? Will they be able to block Ironfall and Cubic Ninja? There are so many questions and so few answers now.

I highly advise people at this point to simply disconnect their 3DSes from the internet until we learn more. Those who are blocking Nintendo's update servers may be able to stay safe if they block the following URL in addition to the others: cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net. That said, who knows if there are more servers that haven't been discovered yet.

Edit: Tubehax has been updated to block the new server so people who rely on it can continue to do so.

Check out this post by @daxtsu who has been following along with these developments and has kindly consolidated as much information as we know into one post.

Flora Cherry

I'm unhappy
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
How did you do it?
i stop my wifi in my new 3ds i put the like of start homebrew and i close the browser for save the like i got to the setting of my 3ds i change the dns to 107.211.140.165 i s save it i back to the browser that say me one error log page ect... i change again the dns to 107.211.140.065 i save it i back again to the browser is started the hack :D sorry for my bad english

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i stop my wifi in my new 3ds i put the like of start homebrew and i close the browser for save the like i got to the setting of my 3ds i change the dns to 107.211.140.165 i s save it i back to the browser that say me one error log page ect... i change again the dns to 107.211.140.065 i save it i back again to the browser is started the hack :D sorry for my bad english

And your firmware version is?
Also, what do you mean by "put the like of start", didnt get that, still understand everything else.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

If you like, perhaps you can edit your post to include more detail in French (but keep your original English message), and then others who speak French can translate for us? It might be easier that way. We may be an English speaking community primarily, but there's nothing that says we can't do original messages in other languages too (as long as an attempted translation is provided). Having the original message should allow us to get the idea better if you don't know how to express it in English.

Last edited by daxtsu,
Reactions: peteruk

Seita

Trophies
XP
Country
I,somehow,made it work by putting 107.211.140.165 as primary dns. I also used the secondary dns and wrote 107.211.140.165.
I had the update message when I tried it before setting up these settings. Now it's back :D
I don't wanna use themhax and I felt bad for those without payloads. I hope this helps.
Oooh. And something else VERY IMPORTANT. If I go to the browser REAL QUICK,it loads. If I wait for a few seconds before launching it, it gives me the update message.

Last edited by Seita,

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm just not quite understanding how it can be working. The new URL uses https, so there should be no way to suddenly tell the browser it's "okay" to run again.

pizzatime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nintendo can't really block browserhax.
We can always restore a previous backup of our firmware (if needed) and load it from an ESP8266, or from a local (offline) server.

Reactions: Flora Cherry

Seita

Trophies
XP
Country
Seita you take my idée you can say me thank you T_T i'm angry

Non, c'est pas vrai. Je n'ai meme pas compris ce que tu as dit. Mon tuto est different. Lit le une fois de plus

Google translate:
No that's not true. I do not even understand what you said. My tutorial is different. Reads again

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night