Hacking browse/open fw.img without Linux?

puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How can i browse inside a fw.img without repacking it? Deamon tools or magic iso wont open it..

i remember editing an img for the xbox a long time ago and i think i had to use Linux iirc.. but its not possible for me at the moment..

Any good tools for window?

Last edited by puss2puss,

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You don't mount and extract the FW.img. It is a program which is encrypted and has an additional header. Look at the firmware decryption thread here.

A package exists somewhere that has everything ready for you to explore in IDA, but I imagine you will need to go find that first after using openssl or another tool to get a decrypted fw.img to explore. If you find the package you will only need IDA.

Last edited by EclipseSin,
Reactions: puss2puss

puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks!
But i know that already.. i built my fw.img patched and all already.. i was just wondering if there was a way i can edit it after its made, without having to remake it everytime i make changes.

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks!
But i know that already.. i built my fw.img patched and all already.. i was just wondering if there was a way i can edit it after its made, without having to remake it everytime i make changes.
Well, either way you will need to rebuild, whether it is something like mocha which does on the fly patching, or rebuilding the fw.img to load if your are making modifications, that's inevitable. The only way you will be able to do patches without rebuilding one or the other is to make yourself something that can read patches from a txt file or something of the like. So you will also probably need a parser built in to do that if I understand what you want to be able to do. I don't think anything like that exists.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: