Brother in trouble for torrenting...

Frog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So, this is my second blog and the first actual meaningful one anyway.

My family received a letter today from our ISP, apparently my 11 year old brother torrented monkey island 2... and Lucas Arts found out and are threatening to disconnect our internet.
Personally the whole thing's stupid, but yeah thought I'd make a blog about it.

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lucas Arts laughs at your privacy.

You probably shouldn't have left the pirating up to your little brother. What you should do is call your ISP, and tell them that it was an 11 year old child who downloaded the game. You really can't blame the kid for what he did, most children probably would have done the same if they knew the steps.

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
s canada that strict? my sis torrented some TV series in Oshawa and I do hope my uncle wont receive some ISP letters.

that sucks on Australia and the USA. T_T

I told my sis not to download torrents. Hmmm...what's the policy in ROGERS canada's Internet? Im here in London, ON, CA.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Can I ask who your ISP is? It's not a 1 out of a million thing to get caught. People get caught ALL the time. It can happen in ANY country. Heck, I've had a few, one of which I found to be false anyway. Don't worry too much about it, as these emails are automatic anyway. It's not like the government is watching out for you (like my dad once said to scare me out of torrenting). I also wouldn't be complaining about privacy, since technically you're brother is in the wrong in the first place. Don't call your ISP, just accept it and don't let it happen again. Speak up only when called to. To be quite frank, your ISP doesn't give a shit about you pirating since they get your money either way.

Warren_303

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nutella said:
Can I ask who your ISP is? It's not a 1 out of a million thing to get caught. People get caught ALL the time. It can happen in ANY country. Heck, I've had a few, one of which I found to be false anyway. Don't worry too much about it, as these emails are automatic anyway. It's not like the government is watching out for you (like my dad once said to scare me out of torrenting). I also wouldn't be complaining about privacy, since technically you're brother is in the wrong in the first place. Don't call your ISP, just accept it and don't let it happen again. Speak up only when called to. To be quite frank, your ISP doesn't give a shit about you pirating since they get your money either way.

Well said, the last sentence has always been my opinion as well.

Frog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
We're with TPG, and don't worry I'm really not too concerned about the whole affair, they could have chosen a much newer game to get us on though... (this is the original MI2, not the remake or anything.)

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hullo8d said:
Some ISPs go on a strike policy, so I'd suggest you get that messed cleared up.
TPG does not have such a policy. But irrespective of what ISP you have, at the end of the day, it's the user's fault if they get slammed. Even though it's not something you're really worried about (which I can understand), it's worth talking to your brother and letting him know what he's getting himself into.

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nutella said:
hullo8d said:
TPG does not have such a policy.

Yeah I know, I looked it up on Google, but still people could get the wrong impression from your comment. I just wanted to clear things up for people so they won't write off notices from their ISP.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hullo8d said:
nutella said:
hullo8d said:
TPG does not have such a policy.
Yeah I know, I looked it up on Google, but still people could get the wrong impression from your comment. I just wanted to clear things up for people so they won't write off notices from their ISP.
This is true. It's always a good idea to know the policies of your ISP.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
As far as I know, these letters are just warnings to scare you enough so you won't download stuff again. If you don't download from TPB again you'll be fine.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Chris_Skylock said:
s canada that strict? my sis torrented some TV series in Oshawa and I do hope my uncle wont receive some ISP letters.

that sucks on Australia and the USA. T_T

I told my sis not to download torrents. Hmmm...what's the policy in ROGERS canada's Internet? Im here in London, ON, CA.

Everywhere is that "strict".
You don't get called out for torrenting because of a lack of strictness or anything, it's just if you're stupid enough to get caught.
Clearly an 11 year old won't know too much about avoiding the wrong torrents, lol.
It's -very- easy to avoid tracked torrents.

Lubbo

GBAtemp Veteran Resurgence
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I am r4ymond said:
I guess your brother is one of the 1 out of a millionth people to be caught torrenting. That sucks.

i doubt a million, its happened to me twice and my mate 3 times, they havent taken any action just warning emails, we are both with TPG

how can you tell if it is a tracked torrent??

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free