yanyuck

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey Guys,

so while fixing a bricked 3DS i accendently broke the ZIF Socket Clamp and also the Ribbon of the Analog Stick.
I already ordered a new Analog Stick on Ebay. Any Ideas how i can get the Ribbon back on the ZIF without the clamp?

For soldering its little bit to small.. can i maybe just put the ribbon under the zif and press the ribbon down and eventually it will work? any ideas?

Attachments

• 2019-03-15 13_22_54-Posteingang (5.066) - yannicklanzrath@googlemail.com - Gmail.png
    2019-03-15 13_22_54-Posteingang (5.066) - [email protected] - Gmail.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,328

yanyuck

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Buy a broken board off ebay and use a heatgun or soldering iron if you don't have a heatgun to remove a ZIF off that broken board. Unless you can find a ZIF by part number off the EU equivalent of digikey.

I dont think the whole ZIF is broken only because the Clip isnt there anymore? Or is it?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm in the same f_ign situation as yanyuck right now.
You can see my desperation here
https://www.reddit.com/r/consolerepair/comments/geun42/can_someone_help_me_with_this_this_is_new/
Man, did you did it? It worked? Did you had to buy the replacement ZIF thing?
I have another issue that I destroyed that NON-ZIF connectors as well because I'm not used to do that.

1. Touchscreen digitizer connector
3. Lower LCD backlight connector?
4. (HOME) button connector

5. WiFi mount

2. Lower LCD display connector

You might be better off replacing the n3DSXL motherboard

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ok, sorry to bump this out, but is relevant inforamtion for anyone that runs into the same problem (had some trouble like this yesterday).

If you aren't able to manually fix this or replace the piece, you just need to insert the ribbon cable with much care UNDER the pins on the connector, the clam just aids to "lift" these pins in order to successfully allow entrance to the ribbon cable in an easier way. The pressure is applied by the pins themselves, but just in case, put a drip of hot glue to avoid the ribbon cable to detach, it most likely won't, but better be safe than sorry.

I'll post photos later.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

andy1031

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, sorry to bump this out, but is relevant inforamtion for anyone that runs into the same problem (had some trouble like this yesterday).

If you aren't able to manually fix this or replace the piece, you just need to insert the ribbon cable with much care UNDER the pins on the connector, the clam just aids to "lift" these pins in order to successfully allow entrance to the ribbon cable in an easier way. The pressure is applied by the pins themselves, but just in case, put a drip of hot glue to avoid the ribbon cable to detach, it most likely won't, but better be safe than sorry.

I'll post photos later.
You got those photos?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You got those photos?
Info found at,

Apply clear tape to the flex cable or jam a piece of thin, cut to size, plastic sheet for more contact pressure. Note card works too.
Use the hot glue or some tape to secure the cable to the board to keep it from wiggling out.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

fb251

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I'll post photos later.

Hi there Dartz150,

I think i'm having the same trouble as you.
I've attached photos of my situation in pictures.

The gold part of ribbon came of when I accidentally pulled it out. I've ordered new circle stick mechanisms with new ribbons.

Am I supposed to put the ribbon under neat the pins? I tried doing this (aswell as putting tape on the back of the ribbon) but it didn't qork, as if the ribbon was fully underneath the pins.

Attachments

• IMG_20200903_151139.jpg
    IMG_20200903_151139.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 820
  • IMG_20200903_151156.jpg
    IMG_20200903_151156.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 658
  • IMG_20200903_151655.jpg
    IMG_20200903_151655.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 664

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi there Dartz150,

I think i'm having the same trouble as you.
I've attached photos of my situation in pictures.

The gold part of ribbon came of when I accidentally pulled it out. I've ordered new circle stick mechanisms with new ribbons.

Am I supposed to put the ribbon under neat the pins? I tried doing this (aswell as putting tape on the back of the ribbon) but it didn't qork, as if the ribbon was fully underneath the pins.

Yes, you are doing it right! Instead of using tape, just add presure with the tip of a Hot Glue Gun and then apply a drip of hot glue to make it stay there. I noticed that the pins on your MoBo are a bit off from their place, so that could led to some problems. Try to use your phone camera zoomed in as a magnifier and some twizers, then carefully try to align the pins as much as possible before trying to attach the ribbon cable.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

fb251

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, you are doing it right! Instead of using tape, just add presure with the tip of a Hot Glue Gun and then apply a drip of hot glue to make it stay there. I noticed that the pins on your MoBo are a bit off from their place, so that could led to some problems. Try to use your phone camera zoomed in as a magnifier and some twizers, then carefully try to align the pins as much as possible before trying to attach the ribbon cable.

Awesome, thanks for the quick response! And just to make sure, there should be space UNDERNEATH the pins for me to insert the ribbon? It does seem like there's not enough space and the gold strips on the ribbon do not reach the pins. Sorry if I'm missing the point, I don't know much about electronics!

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Awesome, thanks for the quick response! And just to make sure, there should be space UNDERNEATH the pins for me to insert the ribbon? It does seem like there's not enough space and the gold strips on the ribbon do not reach the pins. Sorry if I'm missing the point, I don't know much about electronics!

Ok, so I saw your pictures closely, and it seems to me that you are inserting the ribbon cable under the plastic piece of the clam, and it should be inserted between that piece and the pins, the area I'm markin in red here:

upload_2020-9-3_10-16-19.png

the pins should lift a bit allowing the ribbon cable to pass, so don't be afraid and do it, with enough care of course.

I suggest that before you apply the hot glue, make a quick test to make sure it works so you won't need to remove the hot glue as it will be a waste of time haha, the ribbon cable should stay attached anyway even without the glue, but just for a short time due to the stiffness nature of the ribbon cable, that's why it should be applied anyway after you have it fixed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: