broken touch screen after charging above a (turned off)microwave oven

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by thedrev, Nov 6, 2015.

  1. thedrev
    OP

    thedrev Member

    Newcomer
    14
    7
    Oct 19, 2015
    France
    The strangest thing happend to my new 3DS XL. The touch screen left border is partially unresponsive to touch inputs (by the size of about an inch). This happend after I briefly put the charging 3DS above a micro wave oven, which was not on.

    And yes I'm sure it's that because I was using it before and after the charge.
    I could not belive it first so I very briefly did the same thing and the unresponsive zone expended a little.

    i can't find any info on the net as everything I searched linked me to thoses stupid articles of kids trying to charge various devices in there oven...

    I am not sure if the fact that the 3DS was charging at this moment did that, but never put your 3DS near a micro wave oven, even if it's turned off.
     
  2. migles

    migles Mei the sexiest bae

    Member
    6,899
    4,632
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    for curiosity, is the top magnetic? if you put something metalic on the microwave, it will get attached?
    where did you put your 3ds while using the microwave? what if your microwave got a leak?
     
  3. piratesephiroth

    piratesephiroth I wish I could read

    Member
    3,007
    1,619
    Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    Must be just some odd coincidence.
    Did the 3DS get hotter at least? (microwaves aren't magic)
     
    Last edited by piratesephiroth, Nov 6, 2015
  4. sarkwalvein

    sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

    Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

    Our Patreon
    4,986
    5,153
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Defective 3DS, or you missed some other important info like "also the microwave happens to be besides the heater that was turned on full strength and above 80°C"
     
    piratesephiroth likes this.
  5. The Real Jdbye

    The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

    Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

    Our Patreon
    12,087
    5,165
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It sounds like a coincidence to me, no way the microwave could do that when it's not even running. Maybe try calibrating the touchscreen?
     
  6. gallymimu

    gallymimu EE Expert

    Member
    297
    114
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    this is silly. Microwave had nothing to do with it. Even if the Microwave was on it wouldn't break your touch screen unless the 3DS was heated passively by the microwave being hot, or on the vary off chance that the microwave is leaking (in which case it would be a significant health hazard as well.)
     
    Last edited by gallymimu, Nov 15, 2015
    Ammako and piratesephiroth like this.
  7. TLOZmaster

    TLOZmaster GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    255
    77
    Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    Hyrule
    Nintendo can help you on that one.


    On a different note, why was your 3DS in a microwave? And how was it charging?
     
  8. thedrev
    OP

    thedrev Member

    Newcomer
    14
    7
    Oct 19, 2015
    France
    it was placed near and not inside. Charging with the official charger.
    So year this old oven was a health hazard so I get ride of it anyway
     
  9. Ryupower

    Ryupower Brood

    Member
    2,928
    436
    Oct 8, 2007
    United States
  10. piratesephiroth

    piratesephiroth I wish I could read

    Member
    3,007
    1,619
    Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    >magnet
    bruh
     
  11. TLOZmaster

    TLOZmaster GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    255
    77
    Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    Hyrule
    Ooooohhh. Like everyone else said, maybe a magnet in the microwave. Other than that I don't really know xD
     
  12. Misledz

    Misledz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    925
    401
    Sep 3, 2015
    [​IMG]

    if you placed it somewhere near the top that would explain it, also forgive the paint
     
  13. piratesephiroth

    piratesephiroth I wish I could read

    Member
    3,007
    1,619
    Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    What the hell are you guys even talking about... do you have any idea of how microwaves or resistive touchscreens work?