BROKEN touch creen on DS Lite!!!

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by JPH, Aug 15, 2006.

Aug 15, 2006

BROKEN touch creen on DS Lite!!! by JPH at 2:09 AM (2,277 Views / 0 Likes) 27 replies

1. JPH
    OP

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    My DS touch screen is broken. I cleaned it numerous times....but still it wouldn't work! If I press on the side of the sreen it clicks down and comes up. Now I gotta buy a new DS Lite!!! [​IMG] ( Now I can't get a G6 Lite)

2. Heinrisch

Member Heinrisch GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Contact nintendo and ask them if they can fix it. How did you break it?

3. JPH
    OP

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    I dont know how I broke it...I'd rather buy a new DS Lite than pay like 60 bucks to repair it...

4. Digeman

Member Digeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    Well don't give upp so easily. For all you know they might give you a new one for free...? [​IMG]

5. JPH
    OP

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    I called Nintendo, they said that it cost 75 dollars to repair the touch screen!!!!!

Doubting- but is it possible that you can take a touch screen from a regular DS and put it in a DS Lite?

If soo, it'd save me money!

6. TheVirus

Member TheVirus GBAtemp Fan

Uganda
    The clicking touch screen is a known issue. Is it physically cracked? If it's clicking like you said, tell Nintendo that and don't act like such a pussy about it. Tell them it's a manufacturer defect and you want it replaced ASAP.

7. JPH
    OP

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    One problem there: it's a navy DS Lite and it's japanese so NoA wouldn't replace it!

Atleast I don't think they will...

8. neojei

Member neojei GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What is this clicky touch screen?

9. pte

Member pte GBAtemp Regular

It is not your fault, it is called the "shifting screen". My DS had the exactly same thing, brought it back to the shop where I bought it from. Tell them that its an error happened when it was manufactured and that it started from inside. They can't see any physical damage that could have caused it.

Just to tell you more, it is one of the basic problems this device has along with the cracked hinges and bad d-pad. Everybody should check their touchscreens by very very gently pushing the screen with your knucle. If you hear a little click you should return it to nintendo once the touch screen stops working.

10. nervx

Member nervx GBAtemp Regular

Canada

Some guy got his imported navy ds lite replaced. You have a year warranty, the only thing is you'll get a white one back.

11. falco123

Member falco123 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So, if it's a good screen, you will hear absolutely NOTHING when pressing on the screen? If I press near the top, nothing happens, but the middle and below, I hear a tiny sound that's hard to describe, that's probably it, right? Sigh, this + yellow screen = new DS, I suppose...I should wait to put on my Hori then...

12. pte

Just press very gently and you feel that the screen moves down a bit, is a bit elastic and when it comes up it makes a clicking sound. It can be very easily heard.

You can always remove that Hori, but try to write things in PictoChat every now and then. If you leave no trace when you start drawing from the area tha thas that sound you should get a replacement.

13. goretech

Newcomer goretech Member

United States
    Ok this is scary... what about D-pad making sqeeky noises? Mine is 1 week old from walmart and it sometimes makes a noise when I use it. Not sure about the screen but i was in pico and it was stop and pick back up again when messing around but perhaps I was doing it to fast. I will test soon to see.

14. yuwing

Member yuwing GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    i think u guys are overreacting with the clicky touschreen. there has been only 1 occurance, probrably some of the wires got loose or something.

15. falco123

United States

Hahahahahahahahahahaha, 1 in the whole world? Nice, I guess that's enough to warrant a "symptom" on IGN's defect list, huh?

16. PineappleH

Member PineappleH GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well, I've had my dsLite for a week and it's fine. I dunno if I have the clicky screen, but I'm not gonna test it. Might break it while it's perfectly fine.

17. galaxykidgamma

Member galaxykidgamma GBAtemp Regular

United States
    to falco123, the symptom on IGN's list was for the shifting touch screen, not a non-functioning touch screen, the many people with shifting touch screens do not loose the touch screen functionality.

Also I'm interested in how to get NOA to replace a faulty imported DS as mine was from lik-sang and it has numerous problems

18. falco123

United States
    I know we all treat our DSs like babies, but just pushing down a tiny bit with your thumb does NO harm, in fact you will probably do more harm playing Super Mario 64 DS than checking for a clicky screen [​IMG]

And thanks about the difference in shifting touch screen and non functioning. Mine still has a small noise in the bottom sections of the screen when I press down.

19. neojei

Member neojei GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm pretty lost in this. So what is a shifting screen? My screens are a bit tilted, and I do hear a very subtle clicking when I push on it with my knuckle, but I think I'm kind of pushing hard on it already to make it happen.

20. pte

If you have this shifting screen the push has to be very gentle, just so that you feel a tiny bit of force behind it. At first my touchscreen worked out just fine but after few weeks I had to return it to the store I bought it from. Since the upper parts of my touchscreen lost the 'touch'