Broken SD Card slot.. Can we still use these apps?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by bryceone, May 29, 2014.

1. bryceone
    OP

bryceone Newbie

Newcomer
    May 21, 2013
    United States
    My sister's kids somehow broke the faceplate off their Wii. Still works, but then they somehow managed to insert SD card above where the actual slot is and it got stuck. They broke it trying to get it out and now the Wii wont read SD cards. I had their wii hacked and running USB Loader GX before all this happened. Now, being without the SD card/and slot, can we still manage set this thing up so they can play GC and Wii games from the HDD??

I dont have their wii here right now. I'll be bringing it home with me on Friday or Sunday to work on it.

2. xcrimsonstormx

xcrimsonstormx He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    you should be okay as long as you already have the homebrew channel.

3. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    As long as you still have the Homebrew Channel or a forwarder channel, you should be fine. You just need to set up the USB HDD so that the applications are in the apps folder on it instead of on the SD card. If you have problems loading apps from the HDD, you might have to tweak one or two things.

4. bryceone
    OP

bryceone Newbie

Newcomer
    May 21, 2013
    United States
    Thanks guys. Homebrew channel is still on there. I'll give it shot this weekend.

5. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    You might also be able to fix the SD slot while you are there. If not like everyone else said probably can run almost everything from the USB port.

One issue with that is some things might need a FAT32 partition? (I just use NTFS and a working SD slot so trying to go off of memory of other posts...)

6. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    Most apps are compatible with running entirely off a USB drive these days, with at least one notable exception, though (Wiiflow..no reason it should require an SD card, but it does). I've been running all of my games, emulators, and applications off my USB HDD for the past two or three years with no real issues.

7. bryceone
    OP

bryceone Newbie

Newcomer
    May 21, 2013
    United States
    I got their Wii working with USB Loader GX. It's loading the Wii games fine, but when I try and load a GC game, it's asking to move it to SD card. Mine runs them from the HDD. What am I doing wrong here? I'm at their house, so I dont have access to my Wii and it's settings, except mine runs everything with SD card.

UPDATE: Nevermind. I got it working. It was a different version of USB Loader GX doing it.