broken ribbon on dvd drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by jaynecobb, Sep 20, 2009.

Sep 20, 2009

broken ribbon on dvd drive by jaynecobb at 3:02 PM (658 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. jaynecobb
    OP

Newcomer jaynecobb Advanced Member

United States
    hey guys/gals,

i have a launch day wii that i chipped with a wiikey2/clip. i have hbc installed also.

unfortunately, last night my wii took a tumble and quit reading discs (all hbc apps still works fine). after opening the wii i believe that i have found the problem.

below is a picture of the ribbon that snapped in half (not my actual wii, but a stock photo for reference):

[​IMG]

anyone have any suggestions for a fix, or where to buy a replacement ribbon?

thanks in advance to all that help!!!

2. ozguy

Member ozguy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you have an old keyboard or LCD panel you might be able to find a ribbon cable that would be suitable. So long as the contacts are the same pitch (ie. distance apart) you can take one that is wider, and carefully trim the excess wires off the side.

Another option would be to permanently solder in a replacement wire. Grab an old IDE cable and peel off the appropriate number of wires, then solder to the contacts on the mainboard just behind the connector, and again for where it plugs into the DVD drive. Make sure the wires are oriented the same was as before.

3. jaynecobb
    OP

Newcomer jaynecobb Advanced Member

United States
    thanks for the reply.