Sportsmaniac1322

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I posted a topic on here a while ago asking how to fix a broken hinge, and you all said to just get a replacement case. After a little more research, I'm not quite sure if that's the solution. My DS is still in 1 piece, and I don't see any visible crack. When I open it, it clicks into place twice way before it should, then it clicks into place where it usually does. When I close it and open it again, it'll just flop around until I push part of the case that's sticking outwards in towards the hinge. Then it'll go through that process again. I'm wondering if a new case will solve that, or if I need to purchase one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Filp-AXLE-HINGE-Repair...1QQcmdZViewItem

If pictures would help I can post some on here.

EDIT: I posted pictures a few posts down if that'll help at all.

EDIT 2: If those pictures aren't clear enough, there are some better ones on page 2.

Sportsmaniac1322

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's what I'm asking though. I'm not sure if a replacement case would fix it, though it probably would since I'm a n00b and you guys probably know 100 times more than me about this. I'm just looking for some clarification before I buy my replacement case.

Gerinych

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you want to replace the case, first consider how you're gonna put it back together after you take it apart. It's better to replace the whole case altogether, because some parts might not fit, and it's gonna be harder to replace because there are a lot of fragile contacts. Also, on the top part, the contacts are very fragile and can disconnect easily. That's how I broke my first DS.

Sportsmaniac1322

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here are some pictures of the part of my case that sticks out. For more info on this, read the first post.

TopView2-full;init:.jpg

Top View of the DS. Notice the plastic sticking out of the case.

Sid-ishView2-full;init:.jpg

A little different view than the first.

BackView2-full;init:.jpg

A Back view of the DS casing. As you can see, there's no noticeable crack, unless I'm missing something!

So what do you think is broken, the casing or the actual hinge mechanism?

EDIT: I can post a Youtube video if needed.​

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Send it to Nintendo if it's under warranty, there's been numerous reports of broken hinges and Nintendo is supposed to fix them for free.
0.1% "broken hinge" rate my ass.

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wchill said:
Send it to Nintendo if it's under warranty, there's been numerous reports of broken hinges and Nintendo is supposed to fix them for free.
0.1% "broken hinge" rate my ass.
I got 2 broken hinges...

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's why I said that.

Edit: I was responding to Mr. Ferrari here, maybe you could pretend that you got a warranty extension or something.

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think it is the casing. Once I broke the casing, And when opening it made a clicking noise. I taped it back together before sending it to Nintendo. When it was taped, It made no sound.

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
can you take a clearer picture of your ds lite? maybe against a plain white background? (your camera seems to be focusing on the pattern on your chair/couch rather than the system).

also, can you further explain what you mean by "plastic sticking out"? that portion of the shell is supposed to be a complete circle with no breaks. if you have something sticking out, I would guess that the shell is cracked somewhere, but I'd like to see some better pictures before passing judgment.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
have the excact same problem as you ...

either a piece of the hinge is coming off then that means it'll come off soon !

i have survived so far and i am thinking of what to do xD , either to buy a new ds , replace the case or get nintendo to do it ? but yea lets get back to your issue ....

=================

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Holt said:
have the excact same problem as you ...

either a piece of the hinge is coming off then that means it'll come off soon !

i have survived so far and i am thinking of what to do xD , either to buy a new ds , replace the case or get nintendo to do it ? but yea lets get back to your issue ....

=================
Nintendo's service is really amazing and really fast.

Sportsmaniac1322

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thieves like us said:
can you take a clearer picture of your ds lite? maybe against a plain white background? (your camera seems to be focusing on the pattern on your chair/couch rather than the system).

also, can you further explain what you mean by "plastic sticking out"? that portion of the shell is supposed to be a complete circle with no breaks. if you have something sticking out, I would guess that the shell is cracked somewhere, but I'd like to see some better pictures before passing judgment.
I was trying to get it off the ground more so I could take some pictures of the side of it. I'll try to get some better pictures up in a bit.

QUOTE(ferrariman @ Aug 3 2008, 08:32 PM)Nintendo's service is really amazing and really fast.
Problem is that my warranty's up! I would rather take matters into my own hands anyway. It's a lot cheaper.

Sportsmaniac1322

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here are some (hopefully) clearer pictures.

TopView3-full;init:.jpg

Notice the plastic sticking out on the right. It should be flush with the DS, but it's not.

TopView4-full;init:.jpg

Here's a little different view showing the plastic sticking out.

TopBackView-full;init:.jpg

The same picture, but with my DS turned around.

TopDownView-full;init:.jpg

I really liked how this one turned out! I put the DS on its top with the charger port facing down. See that piece sticking out? That should be perfectly flush with the rest of the DS. I'm not quite sure if it's a crack in the casing causing this, or if it's the actual hinge mechanism.​

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.