FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of the family had a nice 250 gig slim that screwed up on the DVD reflash update (DVD drive only does DVDs and such). Normally I would have just said send it in to MS and have it sorted but in a flap they had sent it into the local PC butchery house and, surprising nobody, they butchered it so no chance of slipping that past MS (even if I had a donor slim it would be 12 hours with my rotary tool and more to hopefully slip it past someone not on their guard). Just for giggles it seems they updated it to the latest kernel in an attempt to fix it (16203), joy.

Muggins here gets to take a look then.

Pulling it apart and discovering the extent of their butchery it seems I am also faced with a hitachi 0502 drive, 9.6 Amps on 12V rail today (late 2011 model). No chance of an existing DVD key or CPU key and nand dump.

My options as I see it

Buy a 4 gig and stick the hard drive in it. £90 second hand and £140 or so new. Given they would probably have had to pay that for those cowboys to fix it (I was shocked that I did not get the- "we did not fix it but we spent the time so you owe us" line when I retrieved it yesterday) it is not so bad.

Fix it.
Parts I have around
A maximus drive powering tool from the original xbox 7 series liteon era. Nforce motherboard that has flashed countless DVD drives otherwise.
A cr3 lite v1 I was saving for my Jasper 360- alas I sent the xp machine with parallel that I was using to do it all away but I have about 5 laptops and can probably scrounge up 512 RAM for a tower. Confirmed working NAND dump setup (that amused me- people were going on about quality components and a 20 year old parallel cable and some junk from maplins (like radioshack but worse) worked first time and every time since) still wired into my Jasper as it has been since around November. No programming tool but I can make a parallel port programming cable or adapt my NAND one easily enough.

Despite the kernel I see the new ecc/"DGX R.I.P" stuff might be able to make something work though, maybe even with what I have around. The kid it is for would not appreciate even a flashed drive let alone a RGH setup (nor do I want to have to try telling people how to sort it every kernel update as they are usually right across the country from where I am typically based).

To that end the process would be RGH that hopefully works enough times to get NAND, CPU key and extract a DVD key.

Catching up on 360 slims if I am going to repair the drive it looks like I have to find a PCB replacement as Hitachi drives did finally fall but only to those. The cursory search was interesting as it seems the hitachi stuff came later, there were a few revisions of the PCB and no shop seems to have a clue (I have not contacted any yet) what they have as far as hitachi compatibility and as their descriptions were copy and paste when first added to the store.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
pretty sure you can now
dump nand
flash the appropriate DGX RIP eec file into nand
roughly wire up a rgh
dump the keys using normal method

once you got the keys disassemble rgh from the board
flash a working drive on ebay with the keys

Profit

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of the family had a nice 250 gig slim that screwed up on the DVD reflash update (DVD drive only does DVDs and such).

Are you sure the laser on the drive has not just worn out? The update that reflashes drives would not have touched an 0502 Hitachi.

Catching up on 360 slims if I am going to repair the drive it looks like I have to find a PCB replacement as Hitachi drives did finally fall but only to those. The cursory search was interesting as it seems the hitachi stuff came later, there were a few revisions of the PCB and no shop seems to have a clue (I have not contacted any yet) what they have as far as hitachi compatibility and as their descriptions were copy and paste when first added to the store.

As for the pcbs. You can't find replacement slim Hitachi pcbs, as they are locked and not flashable. The only replacement for them is Xecuter's LTU PCB and the LTU firmware, which is £65 or so + you need a chassis from a slim lite-on as the board is designed to fit them (still supports replacing Hitachis). Other option is a drive emulator like Xk3y. Either way replacing a wrecked 0502 is not cheap.

If they want it stock, I would just RGH & sell it on to fund a replacement console.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well I spoke to the people under the my earlier assumptions and they are going for the 4 gig and stick the old drive in there routine, if it is going to be even more annoying then even better I guess.

I doubted it would be a dodgy laser but I guess it has to be (I did not click about the drive reflashing not applying here), might see if a POT tweak exists.

Yeah I just saw needs board on C4espeaks and then went looking. Drive emulation is about as awkward to deal with as RGH as far as them ultimately bothering me every few weeks (rural internet and outside of a few given applications not much IT either) so that is out.

As it was added to the scrap pile I guess I might have a DVD less RGH slim in my near future.

Thanks Armadillo.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pointless update- fairly substantial POT tweak (0.3 KOhms difference in the end) brought it back to life or at least as much life as anything that sees a POT tweak bring it back to life can be said to have.
In related news local computer shop now degraded to incompetent con artists from previous rating of plain con artists.

I might still RGH it but who knows.

Edit- that was with a flawless disc, looks like I might have to go even higher should I want it to play slightly dirty discs....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"