Broken DS Screen

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by iwakura, Jun 9, 2007.

Jun 9, 2007

Broken DS Screen by iwakura at 3:06 AM (943 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. iwakura
    OP

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States
    Today I dropped my DS for the first time. Ever. About 2.5 feet, from a school desk to a carpet floor. When I turned it on, the bottom screen was nearly black. all the colors are 50 (exaggerated guess) shades darker than they should be. Having modded my DS before, I wasn't afraid to rip it open and check out all the insides. I can see nothing loose, and nothing seems broken. I've found that, by applying pressure on the bottom right of the circuit board (just under the + pad) the colors slightly revert to their normal form. However, as soon I as release pressure, they all go back. any ideas on how to fix this?

2. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    So you're guessing the problem is with a connection rather than the LCD being broken?

If you're putting pressure below the dpad, it's basically placing pressure on somewhere near where the LCD ribbon cable is, so maybe you should check that area out a bit more [​IMG]

Actually I would have no idea other than replace the LCD if you haven't already ruled out the LCD itself being the problem

3. iwakura
    OP

United States
    i dont think its the LCD, because putting pressure on the LCD does nothing...only pushing on the mobo does anything. and its a bit above the ribbon connector, i thought that myself, but after repeated re-insertions at different angles, i dont think its the cable anymore.

also, @admins, i know this doesnt really fit in this thread, but i don't know which it suits better...please move it if its placed incorrectly.

4. Darkspark

Member Darkspark GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    You've broken the backlight?

Even on the lowest backlight, the backlight is still on. Perhaps your screen is now that of the original GBA. Which was really bad. You had to hold it at a particular angle to view the screen properly.

5. iwakura
    OP

United States
    no, the backlight is not the problem. all the pixels are many shades darker.

6. shadow1w2

Member shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    I have a simular problem.
    My LCD ribbon cable got worn out and the screen changed to differnt colors before it finally went out for good.
    Best thing to do is buy a new one or pay nintendo to fix it.
    Me I just gave up on my ol DS :/
    Never botherd to spend the extra cash for it.
    If only there was a replacement ribbon cable to buy.

7. ZdProjects

Newcomer ZdProjects Member

United States
    divineo.com has some replacements in the parts/repair(think thats what they call it) section. make sure you get the right one though

8. iwakura
    OP

United States
    i dont think its the ribbon, because applying pressure NOT on the ribbon causes the colors to come back...

9. Friction Baby

Member Friction Baby GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Just to get this straight it is a DS Phat not a DS Lite correct?

10. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Uh... actually a broken backlight would do that. The LCD pixels still show the right colours, but they look a lot darker than they should be, because the backlight behind the LCD screen that makes them look bright isn't working.

11. iwakura
    OP

United States
    hmm...i personally dont think so. let me take a pic, and you can decide

edit:

here's my top screen, this is how it should be:
    [​IMG]

and here's what I have...
    [​IMG]

12. ZdProjects

Newcomer ZdProjects Member

United States
    just get a new screen, i don't think there is a way to fix it, if you don't trust me here the direct link to get the screen, http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/search.html, i think they have a cable for it too but not sure if it is for lite