Broken DS phat, can I use as just a GBA

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by mekkelrichards, Apr 20, 2011.

Apr 20, 2011
  1. mekkelrichards
    OP

Newcomer mekkelrichards Newbie

United States
    I have an old DS phat, well half of an old DS phat. The touch screen top part is totally gone. The bottom part remains all intact. However, when pressing the power button, the device just shuts off after a blink on the screen, I assume this is because the ribbon cable is torn. Is there a way I can use this 1/2 DS as just a gba? I just need to find out how to boot the DS. I would have to replace the broken ribbon cable obviously, but does anyone have any experience?

2. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    It's busted. Pretty sure it NEEDS the top screen to do much of anything at all. Pretty sure a lot of important stuff is in that. Pretty sure it's junk now. Only way to "fix" is to get a new top screen for it.

3. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    The DS won't work if it doesn't find a top screen. No way to use it, I fear.

4. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Electronics work by having a complete circuit for electricity to run though...obvious as it is, with a torn ribbon cable that breaks the circuit...IIRC you can buy the ribbon cable separately for DSPhats and replacing things generally aren't very hard as long as you are careful. There shouldn't be any real hard soldering either (I think...), unlike with the L/R buttons which require a little bit more accuracy than the common soldering nub x) (like myself).

5. Warrior522

Member Warrior522 "In all things, balance."

United States
    Pardon my curiosity, but can you show us a picture of it?

6. Ace Overclocked

Member Ace Overclocked My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Italy
    you can atttach the cables