Broken component video & resetting Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Grendel23, Oct 11, 2009.

Oct 11, 2009
  1. Grendel23

Newcomer Grendel23 Member

Nov 17, 2006
    United States
    Hi- I've got a very odd problem that just came up last night as I was pulling my Wii Component Cable out of receiver. I heard a a quick pop and then my receiver shut down. When I turned it back on, the video on my Wii was missing the color red. I've troubleshooted it and determined some circuit has blown in the Wii. I have replaced the component cable and put it into different component ports in my receiver. The ports work fine with other equipment and a replacement cable has no effect. What's really interesting is that when I switch to the old composite cables, the colors are actually fine. There must be some ciruit specific to the red component jack that is shot inside the system, which is rather interesting.

At any rate, I'm thinking of pushing this system onto my in-laws, who have a working Wii, but rarely use it and only use it in standard definition. I would then take their system and start from scratch, but with HD that actually functions.

First question- Anyone ever heard of this problem and know of a solution. Google is failing me obvsiously.

Second question- How can I reset my softmodded Wii so it looks factory clean before I make the swap? I'm just concerned I'll give them the system as is and it will try to update itself at some point in the future and brick. This would not be good for me on many levels. I have searched for other posts on this and most people are just trying to fix software problems they have and are typically talked through fixing them without doing an actual reset. I really want this thing to look like it's out of the box. I have my NAND and keys file from when I softmodded if a restore is required via BootMii, but that doesn't remove the Homebrew Channel or any of the hacked IOS's or other files that Nintendo can detect as modifications, correct?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance!