Broke my DS.

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Sportsmaniac1322, Jul 31, 2008.

Jul 31, 2008

Broke my DS. by Sportsmaniac1322 at 6:33 AM (1,749 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Sportsmaniac1322
    OP

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    While I was recently on vacation, I decided to pack my DS. When I took it out of my suitcase, I opened it up, and the hinge was broken. When I open it, it doesn't click into place. It just flops around. Also, when I close my DS, the screen doesn't turn off to conserve battery anymore, a major feature for me. I'm wondering if there's a way I can repair this by myself. I have a little experience with opening and modding systems, but don't expect me to be digging real deep into it. I'm also considering shipping it into Nintendo, but that may cost a lot of money. If there's a service that will repair a DS like this for relatively cheap, I'll consider that too. What do you guys think I should do?

2. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    Buy a new shell from DealExtreme... just got mine for my Phat (a very slick looking matte black shell)

Everything works!

3. Sportsmaniac1322
    OP

United States
    Will that fix the hinge too? If it does, how easy is it to install? Would I have to take the whole thing apart to install it?

EDIT: It's a DS Lite if that matters...

4. Steevsee

Newcomer Steevsee Advanced Member

Australia
    Replacing the case is pretty involved as you basically have to remove everything and reinstall it in new case.
    There are some good guides online to see what you would be up against.

Until you decide, be very careful of the ribbon and cables which connect through the hinge as they are easily damaged.
    I recommend closing your ds and keeping it closed (Packing tape works well!) until you can get new case or if you absolutely must use it be extremely careful.
    Good Luck

5. Jundeezy

Member Jundeezy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you are considering replacing the whole shell, I hear thieves like us is making a in depth guide to disassemble and reassemble the DS Lite.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=81293 there are some reviews here for shells.

6. Sportsmaniac1322
    OP

United States
    I've used it since then, but everything seems to still be working, so I assume nothing's damaged. I'm going to go ahead and open up my DS to see if I can actually do this. As of now I think I'll be ok, but I just want to be sure.

7. Sportsmaniac1322
    OP

United States
    Well, after opening up my DS and attempting to follow some disassembly guides, I've realized I'm in way over my head! So that brings me to my next question; should I send it into Nintendo? I'd also be willing to send it somewhere else that has a service that will put on a replacement case for me. Any way that I can get my DS hinge fixed without having to replace the case myself I'm all for!

8. Sportsmaniac1322
    OP

United States
    Sorry for the double post, but I need serious help! After trying to put my DS back together, no matter what I do, I can't get the power to work. It doesn't connect to anything, so it's just basically moving freely against the DS. I got the volume slider to work, but no matter what I do, the power won't work. HELP!

9. neo_hito

Newcomer neo_hito Advanced Member

Australia
    Well you'll have to open it up again and redo the bottom part of the ds.
    You probably closed it up without positioning the power switch on the shell properly,
    move the switch on the shell down towards you (off position) then put it together.

10. Sportsmaniac1322
    OP

United States
    I tried that multiple times, but it still wont work [​IMG]

11. chiseen

Newcomer chiseen Member

United States
    I think you might have broken off the power switch actuator. In this case the easiest way to repair it is to solder a new power switch back on.

12. pitoui

Member pitoui GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I just purchased a ds phat shell off DX and Im after a nice tut for it. Can someone please link me to one? Thanks

EDIT: Sorry, I don't want to hijack this thread but I don't really want to make a new one up just for this question.

13. Sportsmaniac1322
    OP

United States
  14. pitoui

Member pitoui GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Thanks for the links Sportsmaniac. I want to change the case on my Phat though. Are they relatively similar to take apart?

15. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    The phat is easier - cables are more accessible. They are pretty similar however...

16. Sportsmaniac1322
    OP

United States
  17. Sportsmaniac1322
    OP

United States
    Well I've officially given up. I just went to Nintendo's website and ordered a remanufactured like-new DS to replace my broken one for $85. Maybe when I get smarter I'll be able to fix my broken one so I'll have 2 [​IMG]. Thanks for your help guys!

18. neo_hito

Newcomer neo_hito Advanced Member

Australia
    XD
    well anyways the arrow is supposed to point away from you... not that it matters anymore