British Universities

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Westside, Sep 24, 2007.

Sep 24, 2007

British Universities by Westside at 2:53 PM (966 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Westside
    OP

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    I wanted to do my undergraduate education at a British Institution. Any British fellows know how a Canadian Highschool graduate can study there? Any tests you have to take for University Entrance? (Such as the SAT in America) Thanks in advance.

2. bootmonster

Member bootmonster GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
  3. moozxy

Member moozxy hamboning

United Kingdom
    I'm not too sure on what the requirements are going to be like, any Canadian equivalent to A Levels? but if you go to the Uni you're interested in they should have a page on what International Students need to do.

Out of interest, which are you thinking of applying to? I apply this year... personal statements are a nightmare -.-

EDIT: I mean Uni Website!

and what courses are you thinking of?

4. Westside
    OP

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Well, in Canada I got accepted by University of Toronto, so I think I am pretty qualified. I wanted to apply for University of Lancaster in Physics or Engineering, because my father lives there.

5. Marxian

Newcomer Marxian Advanced Member

United Kingdom
  6. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

I'm french, and I went to Brookes University in Oxford.
    I used UCAS to register ( http://www.ucas.com ) but I think it's well too late to register for this year anyway, the first semester supposedly starts late september.

7. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    Its a bit late, but not totally impossible, a friend of mine only applied the week before last.

It depends on the University, the course and your age to what the entry requirements even for international students.

8. TaeK

Member TaeK GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    The first semester has already started across the country, in fact. It's a bit late unless the university has free slots in their course and you qualify for the entry requirements.

Just keep in mind the fees you have to pay, as overseas students have to pay around £8,000 ($16,202.03 CAD, give or take)

9. Westside
    OP

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Sorry guys, I didn't specify. I am in University of Toronto this year. I wanted to apply for September 2008, or is it too late for that too? Also, my father live there now, he's pretty loaded, so money shouldn't be much of a problem. It's just that the man has health problems and I need to look after him until he dies. However, he could also choose to come here, but that could be more complicated for him. If given a choice between University of Toronto and University of Lancaster, which would you choose? Or does it not matter?

10. hollabackitsobi

Member hollabackitsobi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm going to Oxford. Rhodes Scholarship. Good luck on your application, btw.

11. TaeK

Member TaeK GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Well, i wouldn't recommend coming to the UK at all. It sux here. We can't make life-changing decisions for you, those you will need to decide for yourself. [​IMG]

12. 111111111

Member 111111111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Zimbabwe
    the only requirement british uni's place on international students is money, and lots of it.