hanman

I'm a pretty lucky guy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See Here

i'm unfamiliar with the political landscape in Britain. what are the odds something like this could get passed? if it works there, we could likely see similar legislation in the USA.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
I saw it on the news earlier, to be honest, I think it's impossible.

ISPs can moniter traffic, but they cannot get access to the data which is being transferred. At least, that's what I heard on the news.

Only people stupid enough to use programs like Kazaa and Limewire (Two programs that were discussed on the news) would get the "warning email".

Also, no matter what they say, I think a "warning email" would be retarded, seeing as it would probably be picked up as spam and trashed.

The law probably will get passed, but I doubt it will be very effective, people will just use places like Rapidshare and Megaupload to share files.

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
European Union actually decriminalised piracy for personal purpouses. Still, this wouldn't stop such a law. And I doubt we'll ever see it in UK or anywhere else for that matter.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Like it matters, this will never pass cause ISP's won't let it.
I am in this position now anyway, if I get banned from my ISP there is no alternative.
Based on current performance no Internet would work much better than this shit.

ackers

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Heard this on the radio. I don't think it will happen cuz ISP's will lose a lot of money if they start banning people. And they certainly wouldn't want that!

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If something like this would pass, then the internet would become mostly useless for a great many people.

J

Jackreyes

Lol
Not gonna happen

And if it does it'll be more years than weeks before anything happens

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Javacat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bah... if it happened I'd just make a new internet! Or people would turn back to BBS's....

Me suspects some MPs are receiving same rather large 'mystery' donations from certain movie bodies to go ahead with this....

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok say this happens(which I doubt will but stranger things have happened), how will they know what you are downloading and how would they be able to monitor everyone?

herbanassault

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Quite simply, I would say companies like MediaSentry would simply turn over their lists to the government. It's really not that complicated. If it were law, tons of companies would pop up with employees competent enough to track your common downloader.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@those in the US there is some good news:
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/05/v...d-piracy-fight/
but AT&T seem to be heading down a similar route to the one mentioned here. Not to mention all the deep packet inspection and the like comcast is pulling these days:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/09/co...rms_of_service/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/09/fc...orrent_busting/

@MaHe what the EU says and what the UK does normally do not line up or be anything more than lip service at best.

I do kind of feel sorry for people that have their wireless used without their permission (and given the best "security" I have seen factory installed and so default is run of the mill WEP.......). Then again I suppose it could be considered modern Darwinism.

Guess I will end up having to plonk for SSL usenet.

On a similar subject I find it amusing the government is prepared to pay untold billions (£14bn was the last I heard) trying to push ID cards through yet for a slight bit less (£10bn) BT could supposedly upgrade to fibre in a move that might actually benefit someone: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=10830 That is a whole other argument though.

iffy525

not famous
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
yay I have Verizon!
biggrin.gif

dakeyras

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Me suspects some MPs are receiving same rather large 'mystery' donations from certain movie bodies to go ahead with this....

Not to mention from some big record companies. I always love how they 'estimate' how much they lose through piracy. I mean, they have no clue on how many people download or what they download. They just pull it out of their ass and then use it to pass laws like the one that puts an extra fee on blank cd's/dvd's.
They'd be better off figuring out why a lot of people download stuff to start with and work from there, instead of pulling the pity card all the time. Times change, change with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte