British Man gets real-life ‘Metal Gear Solid’ Bionic arm

Gaming giant KONAMI DIGITAL ENTERTAINMENT Inc. have teamed up with award-winning prosthetics company Open Bionics to release an official Metal Gear Solid “Venom Snake” bionic arm for below-elbow amputees. The striking new design clips onto Open Bionics’ ‘Hero Arm’, which is the world’s most affordable multi-grip bionic arm.

29-year-old Daniel Melville, who was born without his right hand and has been wearing a Hero Arm for over 3 years, is the very first recipient of the new Metal Gear Solid design. Daniel, from Reading, U.K., said: “This is unbelievable. It’s everything I’ve ever wanted from a bionic arm. I’m an avid gamer and love Metal Gear Solid so much and to actually have Snake’s arm in real life is just insane.”

Venom Snake, a mercenary leader voiced by Kiefer Sutherland, is the protagonist of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, which was released in 2015 to critical acclaim. The fictional character lost his arm in an explosion and wears an iconic red and black bionic arm complete with detachable missile functionality and gadgets to stun enemies.

uqbwsct8p0ssmv6kle0a.jpg

Whilst the Hero Arm isn’t equipped with weapons, it is an impressive feat of engineering that is changing the lives of hundreds of upper limb amputees; both adults and children as young as eight years old. Bristol-based Open Bionics use 3D printing and 3D scanning, along with some clever software and design to custom-manufacture each Hero Arm, which can then be accessorised with magnetic clip-on covers. The Metal Gear Solid “Venom Snake” covers are available now.

Takayuki Kubo, President of KONAMI DIGITAL ENTERTAINMENT, Inc., said: “We’re incredibly excited to collaborate with Open Bionics, who are at the cutting edge of robotics. We’re thrilled to see the iconic Metal Gear aesthetic of Venom Snake and his bionic arm burst out of the screen and come to life, in a dynamic fusion of technology and design that is changing the lives of upper limb amputees all over the world.”

Samantha Payne, COO and Co-founder of Open Bionics, said: “Since Open Bionics founded six years ago, Snake’s arm is one of the most requested cover designs for the Hero Arm, so we’re delighted to offer this to our users and grateful to KONAMI for collaborating to make fiction a reality. This collaboration came about from a mutual appreciation of art, science, and technology. It’s pure joy to see this piece of engineering and art impact a person’s life. Upper limb amputees can sign-up for a Hero Arm on our website.”

MGS-Dan-Open Bionics-1.jpg MGS-Dan-Open Bionics-2.jpg MGS-Dan-Open Bionics-3.jpg MGS-Dan-Open Bionics-4.jpg

:arrow:OpenBionics.com

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Konami became a good company in my eyes. I almost forgive them for turning into a pachinko only business.

Tip of the hat to Konami. Well played. Now make it compatible with NES. So it becomes a de facto Power Glove.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if that's what I think it is :

He never had a hand since birth, and he is capable of actually "moving" fingers with his brain ? even though he never had training for that?
I guess the brain is capable of creating any new added limb's action through new nerves any time? you could add a third arm and be able to use it?

if not what I think is it, and it's just cosmetic and he can't move fingers or hand with his brain only : that's not as much interesting than I thought. anybody can just 3D print an arm and act cool with it.

edit:
seems not just cosmetic:
How does the Hero Arm work?

The Hero Arm is a myoelectric prostheses. When a user intentionally flexes specific muscles in their residual limb, EMG electrodes within the Hero Arm detect tiny electrical signals, allowing them to activate different grips with precise, proportional control.
it's probably limited to some action, not all movement available if it's muscular's detection more than nerve's detection.
I wish I could see a video of available movements. I'll search one.
Edit : ok, I saw one. it's limited movements like I thought.

I hope Cybernetics would be more developed and usable for everyone and all amputated people.

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1