Suggestion Bring back the old Mod team

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
When I first joined, there used to be both GMs and Mods. GMs oversaw the whole forums and the Mods oversaw sections. There also used to be 2 to 3 mods per section, which really helped control the quality of posting on the site.
I've noticed since we've gotten right of the Mods and favor of just having a GM team, the quality of the site has really gone down. I am seeing far more issues coming up with flaming, harassment, trolling, bumping spam, ect. which did happen before, but was always quickly taken care of because we had a big enough staff to do it. But recently it seems the staff here are becoming grossly overworked or simply busy in real life to really dedicate enough time to dealing with these issues. Which is why I suggest we bring back the old Mod team to really delegate those tasks and really have a greater staff presence on the forums. Something to really help make the job easier for everyone, well improving the quality of the site.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can not really say what I think of this since I am not on the team but I do agree that the team is over worked with regards to their various responsibilities and that assistance would most likely be welcomed.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
People have been saying that since the beginning.
"Nothing Like The Good Old Days" syndrome.

IPB temp was a lot different from Xenforo temp.
Around the time that the 3DS got hacked is where things started to spiral down really.

Reactions: Alex658 and frogboy

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
IPB temp was a lot different from Xenforo temp.
Around the time that the 3DS got hacked is where things started to spiral down really.
Mark my words, 5 years from now, people in the Switch hacking and homebrew section will be bitching and whining about how things have gone downhill since the golden era of the 3ds scene. :P

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
People have been saying that since the beginning.
"Nothing Like The Good Old Days" syndrome.
The thing is, I've been here for 7 years. I've seen the Temp at it's worst (dem old Pokefloods) and I've seen it at it's best.
In recent years, there has been a shift. What used to be a welcoming community for devs has now really started to shit on them. Not to mention the amount of spam threads that get bumped up to 2 to 3 pages, there's flame posts that go hours before being taken down, ect. It's obvious that the staff is grossly overworked.

Bubsy Bobcat

funny rabbit
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I too would like to see a change in how moderating is done, since even though I've only been here for a year and a bit, I've noticed a large decline in quality on this site due to all the spam, dumb questions without searching first and shitposting (even though I am/was part of the problem) and it's really sad to see this and it's been so off putting to some that they no longer visit here anymore. I never spend as much time here as I used to because of this.

Reactions: CeeDee

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Mark my words, 5 years from now, people in the Switch hacking and homebrew section will be bitching and whining about how things have gone downhill since the golden era of the 3ds scene. :P

NDS has had it share of noob floods but nothing as bad as now.
It's the shitposting and single image reply/ meme spam that's has gotten out of hand.
Those posts don't get removed to quickly and the trolls are getting the impression they got free play, adding to the toxicity.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
The thing is, I've been here for 7 years. I've seen the Temp at it's worst (dem old Pokefloods) and I've seen it at it's best.
In recent years, there has been a shift. What used to be a welcoming community for devs has now really started to shit on them. Not to mention the amount of spam threads that get bumped up to 2 to 3 pages, there's flame posts that go hours before being taken down, ect. It's obvious that the staff is grossly overworked.
I agree this place never has enough police. Hard to understand since it's unpaid labor.

Reactions: Bubsy Bobcat

ItsKipz

l33t hax0r
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember on an old subreddit i used to run, they would hold "elections" every month for a kinda half-mod, that had limited power, but could help out the current staff alot. That way, it was run by the community, and still well managed.

Reactions: Aerocool

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I agree this place never has enough police. Hard to understand since it's unpaid labor.
I am unpaid and I still help out on Filetrip. It's really about honor and the love for this great site.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
NDS has had it share of noob floods but nothing as bad as now.
It's the shitposting and single image reply/ meme spam that's has gotten out of hand.
Those posts don't get removed to quickly and the trolls are getting the impression they got free play, adding to the toxicity.
The NDS era wasn't full of entitled scuds that snap at you when you give them the answer they don't want. There were some people, and posts.. But it was nowhere near as bad. That's about when I joined in. The old R4 era.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure I've seen this exact thing suggested a few months ago (and that's before I suggested the same thing/volunteered in a PM).

IMO it shouldn't be that difficult to find sane members willing to be moderators; the administration should really have found some by now.

I remember on an old subreddit i used to run, they would hold "elections" every month for a kinda half-mod, that had limited power, but could help out the current staff alot. That way, it was run by the community, and still well managed.
I don't think elections are the way to go for finding moderators. It should be a combination of users' sanity and willingness.

Last edited by evandixon,

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Please make it happen! I'm tired of the shit going on here. There's a serious timezone issue too. Most active staff live in europe, and sleep when most spam happens here (around 8:00PM to 2:00AM)

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure I've seen this exact thing suggested a few months ago (and that's before I suggested the same thing/volunteered in a PM).

IMO it shouldn't be that difficult to find sane members willing to be moderators; the administration should really have found some by now.

I don't think elections are the way to go for finding moderators. It should be a combination of users' sanity and willingness.
It comes up every few months. Some threads going to shit, and some just drop to the bottom of the list. Something NEEDS to be done, but those with the power to make it happen seem to think otherwise.

ItsKipz

l33t hax0r
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

When they had elections, you had to submit yourself as a "candidate" and people voted for who would be best mod.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Maybe the team should just open up mod submissions? There are plenty of people in this community who i would 100% support if they became mods.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the team should just open up mod submissions? There are plenty of people in this community who i would 100% support if they became mods.
Or just look and see who's been posting helpful posts and offer them a position. (Or rethink their whole "we do not accept people who volunteer to become mods" policy on the condition the volunteers are sane and helpful.)

Reactions: ItsKipz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.