Bright

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by Veho, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Veho
    OP

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Will Smith plays Will Smith playing a cop in an urban fantasy setting where orcs, elves, goblins and fantasy creatures are slumming it with humans in a world otherwise similar to our own.

Swords and sorcery element aside this looks like a standard buddy-buddy cop film: he gets saddled up with a new partner, they don't get along at first but must cooperate in order to stop some criminal plot or other. Wacky hijinks ensue.

Thoughts?

2. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Could be interesting. Even if I was a bit surprised when the fairy showed up.

But Will Smith? I don't know man.

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I look forward to the supercut of this, men in black, Bad Boys and wild wild west.

That and I think that trailer probably spoiled many of the good moments and plot of the film.

4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    trailers always spoil the best moment and the ending...

That's a movie, no a series? Why not, I'll watch it.

5. Veho
    OP

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    As trailers are wont to do.

6. smileyhead

smileyhead Bow ties are cool.

GBAtemp Patron
    smileyhead is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    >Netflix only
    oh great, I can say goodbye to watching it in a theatre with my friend.

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Some do OK and give a sense of the film, setup, world... without giving much away.

A choice video I have probably linked before but says much of what I would here

8. Veho
    OP

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    There are good and bad trailers, but I wouldn't say anything has "happened" to them because older trailers suffer from the same problem too. The trailer for Soylent Green shows humans being processed into said soylent green, and the trailer for the original Carrie film shows the end carnage and every major death. This is not a new development, trailers have been doing this for a while.

9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    That is just one of those somewhat awkward series/playlist names. Also yeah I don't think it got worse per se; I recall the various trailers I actually used to watch on the VHS when I put it in and would level similar criticisms. Though the amount of those films I subsequently saw (or at least within a few years of that, many I watched after DVD had died) was rather few and most of what I saw was either because it was on TV or because the blurb on the back in the rental store. Maybe it is also that I got more aware of how films/stories are put together and almost pull things apart without thinking about it.

10. Veho
    OP

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    I think one of the causes of this is that people have become so genre-savvy with a hundred years of plots, twists and narrative conventions, they know a lot of possible storylines and their conclusions to infer a lot more about the movie in advance. They are aware of more possible outcomes based on what's shown in the trailer, and if any of those outcomes comes about it can be said the trailer "spoiled" it.