Brief storm killed my HDTV and 3 consoles today

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I go home for lunch from work and I'm making a sandwich and it's raining and thundering and suddenly I hear a BOOM, like a bomb went off. Scared the sh*t outta me. Didn't think much of it, but before i left I checked my TV as I have my laptop hooked up to it and I was defragmenting a hdd for PS2 and the TV refuses to come on. I try different outlets and still won't come on. When I leave work I get ahold of a cord that's the same brand TV and it fits the TV but it still doesn't work, TVs dead. And my Wii U (BOTW frown) Wii (luckily kind of redundant, can just buy another Wii U and hack it for Wii U and Wii but never did before) and Xbox One won't power on anymore. They were on the same plugin strip as other consoles that still work PS4, PS3, PS2, Dreamcast, Xbox 360 (yes I have a lot of consoles, well less now).

Kind of bummed it's probably a grand in stuff I lost. The storm only lasted like 30 minutes then the sun returned. But at least it didn't kill every single console I guess.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: RevPokemon

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Were they plugged into a surge protector?
question i have in my case, will a surge protector will do anything without a ground connection?
or will a UPS save my computer in case i don't have the ground connection?

i had my good PC and a ps2 frying from a thunderstorm lots of years ago...

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Were they plugged into a surge protector?

A common misconception is that a surge protector will help you if lightning strikes your house or a power line nearby. Unfortunately a surge projector cannot handle the amount of voltage and current coming through it from a strike like that. They're meant for normal brownout surges and what not. Nothing will help you against a lightning strike except unplugging all your expensive stuff whenever its thundering and lightning out.

@NoSoul81 sorry to hear this happened to you :(, but the important thing is nobody was hurt. You can replace equipment, but not people...

Reactions: EmulateLife

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
perfect opportunity for Sony fanboy's to declare their technical superiority :rofl:

but yeah you may be able to just replace the power supplies on Xbox one and wiiu if your lucky....maybe the TV too, as replace power boards on tvs are generally pretty cheap

just ask around friends/family if anyone has a wiiu/Xbox one power supply you can borrow for testing before you buy anything

Last edited by gamesquest1,

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone.

I figured out something that's kinda odd I had too many consoles needing HDMI than I had HDMI hookups and had 3 consoles hooked up to a multi HDMI adapter to give me more HDMI slots, guess which 3 they were? The exact 3 that went out. I can't figure it out exactly but it seems it had something to do with that HDMI adapter, don't believe it's just a coincidence those are the the ones that no longer work.

I just went to a pawn shop and bought a 32 inch Toshiba for $120 including tax, nothing fancy but it'll get the job done.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
question i have in my case, will a surge protector will do anything without a ground connection?
or will a UPS save my computer in case i don't have the ground connection?

i had my good PC and a ps2 frying from a thunderstorm lots of years ago...
How the fuck is UPS responsible for short circuited equipment? Unless you can prove it was delivered that way.

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
perfect opportunity for Sony fanboy's to declare their technical superiority :rofl:

but yeah you may be able to just replace the power supplies on Xbox one and wiiu if your lucky....maybe the TV too, as replace power boards on tvs are generally pretty cheap

just ask around friends/family if anyone has a wiiu/Xbox one power supply you can borrow for testing before you buy anything

Maybe only the power sources of your consoles were affected

I suppose that's possible, on the Xbox one the power supply shows power and when I turn the console on it comes on for a second then immediately turns off. I'm going to try and take it a repair place. Don't have any friends in my city that have an Xbox one or Wii U to try their power supply, that'd be sweet if it was just that.

I know as far as the TV it wasn't just that as I tried a different cord same brand and it still wouldn't work.

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.