Bricking question

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by Hooya, Aug 25, 2006.

Aug 25, 2006

Bricking question by Hooya at 8:44 PM (717 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Hooya
    OP

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I read on comparisions between flashing the DS and simply using a passkey that you can brick your DS using either method.

I understand that Flashme has a security feature that, once correctly in place, can allow you to re-flash your DS in case your firmware gets messed up. I can understand how you could brick your DS in the process of putting the Flashme firmware on the DS in the first place, so I can see why that is handy.

But I also read that if you don't use Flashme and just use the passkey that you run the risk of permanently bricking your DS because you don't have that security feature that the Flashme provides. My question is this: what would you do that that would cause your firmware to get corrupted or overwritten if you never flashed the firmware to start with? Does the simple task of using a passkey device risk deleting your firmware? This rationale doesn't seem to make sense to me as a con of not flashing your DS.

Can anyone clarify?

2. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    No, using a passme device instead of will not brick your DS. What will brick your DS is if you run some malware floating around that contain code to brick your DS. If you tried to run this with flashme installed, you are protected.

3. Hooya
    OP

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    So as long as I'm careful about what I put in my flashcart I will be fine.

Is there any way to check the validity of ROM files? I don't intend on really using any homebrew software, just games.

4. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
  5. neojei

Member neojei GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Dark Fader in his letter to apologize said something about some program being able to detect those torjans he made. It's like in the last paragraph. Is there some progaram that can really do that?

6. g.crow

Member g.crow beide mittelfinger hoch

United States
    dsbrick is detected by the most commen virus scanners, ie. norton does.

mars