Bricking my switch to (potentially) get unbanned

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by isoisoiso, Sep 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. isoisoiso
    OP

isoisoiso GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2018
    Niger
  2. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    He doesn't even have confirmation he was actually banned to begin with.

And they're not going to have an automatic unban protocol in their network.

3. Cubuss

Cubuss GBAtemp Fan

Aug 4, 2017
    Netherlands
    High Quality Shitposter
    very smart idea

NoNAND likes this.
  4. Thomhack

Thomhack GBAtemp Regular

Mar 25, 2018
    France
  5. Ashura66

Ashura66 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    Not a smart idea. AT ALL

6. Uumas

Uumas GBAtemp Addict

Sep 17, 2016
    Finland
    I think that's a stupid idea, but I'd probably try it too if I was banned. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBLITY FOR PERMABRICK, but I'd just turn the switch off while updating.

7. Loversan

Loversan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 31, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    ry755, isoisoiso and Uumas like this.
  8. Ashura66

Ashura66 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    The person specifically says it's not the RCM we know

9. Loversan

Loversan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 31, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    But there is a safemode as well, -> "This results in the system booting the safemode sysmodule and automatically finding and installing new updates from the internet."

isoisoiso likes this.
  10. Chocola

Chocola GBAtemp Regular

Sep 18, 2018
    Spain
    This isn't the RCM mode, it's the oficial recovery mode that you can access with any Switch without the Joycon short (including legit without mods) pressing POWER, VOL+ and VOL- at same time, have some interesting things, format device without delete saves for example, and yes, include option to update firmware too.

But I don't think that they remove the ban with it

11. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    This actually doesn't even make sense from how their network handles traffic. If you're superbanned, which most everyone is nowadays, you'd never even auth the server. Doesn't matter what mode you're in, the initial request would simply be denied.

Second, the timing of his 'unbanning' is way too close to someone trying to go into eShop during maintenance, which would bar access, doing something stupid in the meantime, fucking up, recovering into 6.0.0 from the update server, and then going online long after the maintenance ended. You don't go into the eShop and immediately get banned, that's not how this works and so I don't think he actually understood the error he got.

Recovery mode wouldn't supercede the tls-certificate. The cert comes first to ever even talk to the server. Banned certs are blacklisted from authenticating, so they'd never relay any information to Atum about Recovery Mode to then somehow get itself unbanned. The only way this works is if he just had a dauth ban but he's provided zero evidence to indicate what ban he even had.

But Atum nor their servers have any reason to overturn a dauth ban because it doesn't impact the ability to fetch firmware updates.

So this makes fuck-all sense.

Last edited by V-Temp, Sep 22, 2018
    ry755 and Chocola like this.
  12. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    Exactly, he said he didn't know what his error was, it could've been down for maintenance or his wifi didn't connect or anything

Last edited by Milenko, Sep 22, 2018
  13. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

MushGuy, ry755 and antiNT like this.
  14. SexySpai

SexySpai xdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    your mom lol
    im no genius and i certainly dont work at nintendo but... you cant play or get unbanned if you brick your switch..

15. Chocola

Chocola GBAtemp Regular

Sep 18, 2018
    Spain
    This have more sense, they can skip the auth process for the firmware download from the recovery mode, but this don't remove the ban.

Just allow you to get the firmware update for this time, but when you boot again on Horizon OS the certs gona get sent again on each call, so you gona still banned.

The unic way if it's they provide you a new certificate with the update, but I don't think that they do it, for now I don't check on detail how work their networking but I'm sure that they make the certs unique by serial number or something like.

Last edited by Chocola, Sep 22, 2018
  16. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    You can't skip auth. Think about it. How do you even know it's a Switch if you skip authenticating the cert? Recovery mode isn't an identifier. If the cert is banned, it won't auth, end of story.

And you can't download a new cert, it's written to a console at factory.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also checking ReSwitched, this was ruled bullshit and fake news. If this were genuine someone would have already tested and confirmed it.

17. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Fan

May 15, 2018
    Togo
    Your console id or cert is still registered on nintendo's server as banned so there's really no way around that other than changing your cert or spoofing it.

18. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Senseless and dangerous speculation with no proof. Locked til further notice.

Resaec likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.