Bricking and all that..

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by HDW, Jan 21, 2007.

Jan 21, 2007

Bricking and all that.. by HDW at 9:54 PM (2,330 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. HDW
    OP

Newcomer HDW Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    With the R4DS is it possible to download roms which could "brick" your DS? I'm just a bit concerned about the legitity of the roms that I have aquired and don't want to take any risks.

2. tepnomus

Newcomer tepnomus Member

United States
    I guess there's always some risks, but if you are really that afraid, just go out and buy retail DS games. Should be safe that way.

3. kiruyama

Newcomer kiruyama Advanced Member

United States
    It is possible if there's a trjan, but if you downloaded your roms from an FTP site, check their forums to see if the people there talk about the roms they downloaded, or if its IRC, ask around. If you still want to make sure you're safe, check the filesize of the rom (before you trim it, if you trim it at all). All NDS games are either 8, 16, 32, 64, or 128 megabytes.

4. Knab

Member Knab GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Check the crc on the roms, or flash your nds with flashme

5. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    The good thing about the R4 is that the firmware is on the MicroSD so theirs no chance of bricking the R4. Although someone could probably delete the whole memory card. To avoid the DS bricking just use flashme and you'll be safe. Hopefully the R4 team will implement some kind of virus checker in the firmware so you don't need flashme installed at all.

6. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    As ideal as that would be, it would never happen. If you think about it, the 2 major brickers have been out for a long time now, but not a single flashcart manufacturer has implemented a check.

7. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    Brick the R4?.... You can still possibly ruin your R4. I bet there is still some writable area inside it.

Yeah, like Knab said, double check the CRC info. I don't think flashing would protect somebody from a rouge file posing as a rom, since the coder in question would probably find another way to brick a DS.

8. bm_attar

Newcomer bm_attar Member

Canada
    Can you explain more how CRC checking on roms work. When a rom is available via a torrent or emule, there don;t seem to be an "official" CRC to compare against. Also on gbatemp I notice the new game news doesn;t include a CRC for the release.

9. outphase

United States
    Flashing would protect someone as the failsafe is an unwritable section of the firmware. (Writable only with the SL1).

10. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    @outphase: Yes, but if someone came up with another way to brick a DS, flashme would not necessarily work. Hopefully no one comes up with another method.

@bm_attar use a program from download.com to find out the CRC for the rom file and compare it to the CRC at advanscene.com

11. ydnar64

Newcomer ydnar64 Advanced Member

United States
    The best way to protect yourself is to know where your donwloading from. Bittorent are normally good and if there is an issue normally you can read someone else comment about it before you try it... That's the best way to get stuff now days. Web sites have al sorts of bad stuff on them and using things like Kazaa you don't you what you got until you try to use it. You could always use norton antivirus. That's pretty good at detecting stuff that has malicious code... just some thoughts...

12. outphase

United States
    Why not? How would one get into the write-protected region to destroy the failsafe?

13. aphexpusher

Member aphexpusher GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I use DSlazy to check the roms as well as scanning it with a anti virus software. I also check the size to make sure it is a standard size. you know. 128, 64, 16, etc. google dslazy cuase im too lazy to find teh link. it has a scanner for crashme code. generally it is pretty hard to come across. I have been delibretly looking for a copy of r0mloader and taihen for a while now. cant find a single copy.

14. Katalyst

Member Katalyst Johnald Everyperson

United States
    I agree with this person. It's the same thing I tell people who get worried about viruses and what not. Know where the hell you're getting your shit from and don't be stupid about it and you won't get one. I've never had a virus because of that. It's not that hard to protect yourself. Now, in the case of roms, just keep and eye out and be smart about what you're getting (ie. look at filenames, size compared to other files, etc.). Me personally, I get all my roms on usenet. Never failed me once. Worse come to worse, you can do all the scanning and CRC checks just to be safe. Always remember though, you're not paying for these games you're "downloading" so don't be upset if karma strikes back and bricks your DS [​IMG]

15. id242

Member id242 GBAtemp Fan

United States

16. outphase

United States
    Every card can run Moonshell, but it is not the main OS.

17. id242

Member id242 GBAtemp Fan

United States
  18. HDW
    OP

Newcomer HDW Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    All my files are 16, 32, 64 or 122 (I think, I'm not on the same PC). I tried downloading DSlazy but I get an error when I use it. I'm updating my windows so hopefully it works after that.

19. aphexpusher

Member aphexpusher GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think you need the .net framework or something...