Bricked Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Thunderale, Aug 8, 2010.

Aug 8, 2010

Bricked Wii? by Thunderale at 1:46 PM (1,062 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Thunderale
    OP

Newcomer Thunderale Newbie

United States
    Hi,

I have a Wii system running with a WIIKEY chip (first one out I reckon, with somewhat updated firmware).

I haven't touched it for quite a while and a couple of weeks ago borrowed it to a friend, who apparently attempted to play a burnt Super smash brawl on it.

It appears it has resulted in bricking my WII because it now refuses to read any of the discs I try playing on it (including original ones).

My question is the following: what are my options? is there any way I can reverse the damage? or do I have to have someone fiddle with the chip or remove it?

thanks in advance!

2. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    What system menu is it right now?

3. jelmew

Member jelmew GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Hi

Can you run dop-mii and make a sys-check of all ios'? Furthermore, on what firmware was your wii before you lent it to a friend? He might have accidently updated some things. What does the wii say when you try to run a game trough the disc-channel.

4. Thunderale
    OP

United States
    you mean what version?
    3.1E

jelmew? your first question is chinese.

I really dont remember, but i think it returned to me the same version i lent it to him with (I updated my system almost a year ago i think, does that make sense ?)

it says 'unable to read the disc'

5. jelmew

Netherlands
    Well, my theory is that brawl contains an update which is higher then 3.1E. I think your friend pushed the update button and aborted somewhere along the line (which is the reaseon why the system still reports 3.1E) By this, some ios' might be scrambled and refusing to run disc's trough the disc-channel. The other option is that the brawl-disc he burned was from a different region and also had an higher update then 3.1. Do you have an homebrewchannel on your wii to check some things?

6. Thunderale
    OP

United States
    I see..
    Nope, I have nothing of that sort on my WII..
    I have tried downloading the DOP-MI thingy but it wont read it as well (not sure i burnt it correctly tho')

bah, maybe the lense is fucked?

7. Revolution [9]

Member Revolution [9] GBAtemp Regular

United States
  8. jelmew

Netherlands
    He has a point. Before talking you trough the whole soft-modding thing, its best to check wether your lens isn't dirty.

9. d3monsting

Member d3monsting GBAtemp Regular

United States
    However if it isn't, you may need to soft mod.

10. Thunderale
    OP

United States
    I really don't think the lens is just dirty, as my friend did mention that before trying to launch SMB all other games worked perfectly fine.

anyway, I'd be really grateful if any of you could walk me through the steps needed for figuring out and fixing this problem, or perhaps point me to a guide.

All i want is to play SMG 2 [​IMG] kinda regret having the chip installed in the first place.

I could always go back to the store I had my chip done in, but they'll prolly try to rip me off.