Bricked Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Leo Cantus, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Leo Cantus
    OP

Leo Cantus So zeta slow!

May 23, 2009
    England
    Basically. I was on system menu 4.0 and I havent touched my wii in a long time. I had homebrew channel installed on it with a couple of homebrew games, nothing more. My sister got a fully legit Wii game and we put it in, it said we needed to update so I clicked update. It finished then the screen just went blank..
    I turned the wii off and put it back on and the screen is just blank. No sound or anything. I dont have any bootmii or anything like that. Feel free to call me a noob, I just wanna know if this can be fixed, or if it cant will I be able to send it back to Nintendo for repair
    thanks

2. tj_cool

tj_cool Site dev

Supervisor
    Jan 7, 2009
    Belgium
    This planet
    Was the game from the same region as the wii is?
    Else you did an update from the wrong region -> Full Brick

Since you have no preloader or bootmii, I don't think there's much you can do about it [​IMG]

3. Leo Cantus
    OP

Leo Cantus So zeta slow!

May 23, 2009
    England
    yeah. The wii is PAL and so was the game.

4. icebrg5

icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 1, 2007
    United States
    did the power get turned off in the middle of the update?

Also what game was it?

5. Leo Cantus
    OP

Leo Cantus So zeta slow!

May 23, 2009
    England
    the update finished, but then the screen just went black and did nothing. So I had to turn it off. The game was new super mario bros

6. Hatsu

Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Banned
    Oct 19, 2009
    __________________ Warn: 50%
    It probably stuffed up when installing something... (like boot2 or the System Menu)

7. Leo Cantus
    OP

Leo Cantus So zeta slow!

May 23, 2009
    England
    So I guess I cant do anything but see if nintendo will repair it. I am out of warranty, I hope they dont charge too much considering I also have homebrew channl

8. Elritha

Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Jan 24, 2006
    Canada
    They will either charge you £27.40 for a minor repair (repairs outside of warranty period), or £65.50 for major repairs (misuse or physical damage).
    http://www.nintendoservicecentre.co.uk/faqs

I suppose they could classify the hbc as 'misuse' if they discover it has been tampered with.

9. Leo Cantus
    OP

Leo Cantus So zeta slow!

May 23, 2009
    England
    Thanks for the info!
    Do you think it would be classed as minor or major? I mean its a pretty common issue when I was looking over the net

10. Ventrix

Ventrix GBAtemp Regular

Dec 20, 2008
    United States
    I pretty much just had the same problem i called Nintendo and they are repairing it for free.