bricked wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by broads, Jun 15, 2009.

Jun 15, 2009

bricked wii by broads at 1:30 PM (1,261 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. broads
    OP

Newcomer broads Member

United Kingdom
    modded a wii with a wiikey 2 on it using this guide http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=155844 now the wii will not boot up,it has a black screen and no music,am i fecked,must of been something i did wrong

any advise or help....

thbnks

2. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Do you have bootmii installed?

did you do a nand backup?

what was the last step you did?

3. broads
    OP

Newcomer broads Member

United Kingdom
    sorry this was the guied i posted wrong one http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835

and i finished of this bit

9) If you do not have cIOS installed yet Run WAD-Manager_v1.4 choose IOS35 and install cios_fix.wad then restart

10) Run cIOS36_rev10-Installer and choose WAD Installation

11) Run WAD-Manager_v1.4 again. Choose IOS249 and install WADs 01-18. If WAD Manager freezes during installation just try again from the WAD it froze on.

12) While still in WAD Manager install SystemMenuv###.wad

13) Run preloaderv0.29-cred and press 1 to install

14) Hold reset while powering on to access preloader and set preloader settings. In preloader hacks enable "Skip disc update check"

15) If you installed the Homebrew Channel using a WAD run the HomebrewChannel Installer to fix the installation

rebooted and nothing and i have no nand backup,,,,,,,woulad having another wii with backup launcer give me any more chances in unbricking this one

thankyou

4. powser

Newcomer powser Advanced Member

so u got a brick after installing a homebrew channel wad??

Just hold reset while u're powering up the wii to ge tback to preloader since u've already got it installed

5. broads
    OP

Newcomer broads Member

United Kingdom
    tryed that and wont work,,,,is it that where you change all the settings on it after install,anyway if it is when i changed them and went to restart i was getting errors,think it is beyond unbricking but was wondering what few things i could try,would swopping drives out of another wii work or is that a dumb question ,the bricked wii was on 4.0 with a wiikey 2 in it and my my brother is on 3.2 with starfall on it

do these programs write to the dvd drive chip or to the wii motherboard

6. broads
    OP

Newcomer broads Member

United Kingdom
    anybody else got any ideas or should i phone nintendo [​IMG]

7. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    you didn't answer my question. Do you have bootmii installed?

and also, according to what you posted, you have preloader installed, just hold reset when powering on the wii, see if it goes into it.

8. broads
    OP

Newcomer broads Member

United Kingdom
    no bootme installed and nothing comes on when i hold the reset buttong whilast powering on,if all else fails would another motherboard fix is or would i need a drive

thankyou for your time

9. broads
    OP

Newcomer broads Member

United Kingdom
    ahh well just put another drive in it out of my brothers wii and it was the same so i guess i will need a new motherboard as my drive worked ok in his

10. Tux'

Member Tux' GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    He has a modchip, he could run a wad manager homebrew disk via savemiifrii and uninstall the wad.

11. broads
    OP

Newcomer broads Member

United Kingdom
    the totally bricked wii is the one with the modchip in it and is on 4.0 and the ok wii is on 3.2 with the softmod and backup launcher

12. Tux'

Canada
    Do you have an official gamecube controller? Google savemiifrii. Then you'll be able to boot a wad manager disk. And remove the hbc wad. It's just a banner brick isn't it?

13. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    savemiifrii only works if the system menu at least attempts to load. From what he is saying (black screen), that's a good sign that it is not loading. Not getting to preloader is typically caused by three reasons:

1. You didn't hold RESET early enough.
    2. You never installed preloader, its install failed, or you overwrote it with a clean system menu.
    3. The system menu or its IOS is missing or was uninstalled.

Since he can't use preloader and doesn't have bootmii, i'd call this bricked.

I'm still curious though as to how he managed to fully brick it like this by following that guide, as i used the same one to update mine, and it worked fine for me (online method).

That offline method he tried is not hard to screw up either. I personally never recommend the offline methods for upgrades, as it's too easy to brick your wii. In this case, he probably forgot the system menu's IOS or something...

14. broads
    OP

Newcomer broads Member

United Kingdom
    cheers for the info peeps,guess it is fecked and i am not blaming the guide,it would of been my fault as i wasnt in the best frame of mind at the time,i guess i will just buy another motherboard of ebay for £40,

cheers for the help guys
    much appreciated [​IMG]

15. Tux'

Canada
    Maybe he accidentally uninstalled ios60 or something, causing it to brick :/. Yeah, I guess I would call this bricked, no point in sending it in, it'll cost as much as 200-250$ US. Unless he de-solders the NAND and gets a new one [​IMG].