Hacking Bricked Wii with BootMii as boot2 - RestoreMii freezes everytime

Awkward

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I probably seem like a helpless child right now...I have all of the ModMii stuff and I got cboot2 but how the hell do I load up cboot2? I read some of the readme and it says I need additional directories for it to run? Maybe I should just try the nand formatters...

Awkward

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This:

Simple !?

of course, put the SD card back to the Wii before booting

Obviously i know that. ModMii did not come with any cboot2 stuff or it just did not load.

I used giantpune's app, which I have done before, to try to just format the nand. That didn't work. I then tried to make a new nand -- that didn't work. Maybe I have some really important wads I am missing? What can I do?

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
you said you got cboot2...
and didn't you see the link for cboot2 in the previous post?

What didn't load? Wiimod didn't load?
What stuff you need from Modmii apart from the wads?

You have already formatted your nand? What is the current status of your wii now?

I don't feel I understand you

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's probably the version of the HBC you have, combined with a different version of bootmii. Do you have any idea what version of the HBC you had when you made the NAND backup?

Are you saying that if I update my HBC, then I should make a new NAND backup and discard the old NAND backup?

@ the op, have you tried a different SD card to do the NAND restore, I hac problems like that once, then I tried a different SD card and it worked. I think I used one of those white Sandisk Wii 2GB SD cards to do the restore, the blue sandisk wouldn't work, that's when I had HBC 1.0.1 installed.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Are you saying that if I update my HBC, then I should make a new NAND backup and discard the old NAND backup?
No, I'm saying that you should always update BootMii to match the version of the HBC you have, or at least do the "Prepare SD card" thing so you get a matching version of Ceiling Cat (the menu that comes up for BootMii).

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I'm saying that you should always update BootMii to match the version of the HBC you have, or at least do the "Prepare SD card" thing so you get a matching version of Ceiling Cat (the menu that comes up for BootMii).

OK, I see. What I said in my last post though, I bricked my Wii once and tried to restore the NAND, I think the same thing happened to me that the op is explaining, restore mii installs a few blocks and then freezes, I changed the SD card and it did a full restore. I thought it was strange because the SD card that I did the backup with wouldn't do the restore, I had to use a different one to do the restore.

Reactions: JoostinOnline

Awkward

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry for the confusion -- the link for cboot2 wasn't working for me, so I got something else.

Anyway, now the Wii is not displaying anything when I go to the Wii Menu. I have no signal once again. And the worst part is that I am using the Wii Branded Sandisk. Shoot! I'll try cboot2 and go from there. ohnesswanegger (sp?) has worked for me in the past but its not working now. I have a lot of unprocessed blocks in RestoreMii.

uribemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if none of that has been working it may actually just be a hardware error. I may be wrong though don't know much about this lol

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Just grey, unproccessed blocks. And its anytime I try to format/create a new nand on giantpune's program. I thought it was designed to "virginize" the nand...so is it BootMii screwing up?
I'm sorry, I read that wrong. I thought you wrote BackupMii, not RestoreMii. Unprocessed blocks just means that the block isn't any different from the one on your NAND backup, so there is no point in restoring it.

Why don't you try loading bootmini.elf from the SD browser in bootmii, then re-installing both the HBC and Bootmii.

Awkward

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry, I read that wrong. I thought you wrote BackupMii, not RestoreMii. Unprocessed blocks just means that the block isn't any different from the one on your NAND backup, so there is no point in restoring it.

Why don't you try loading bootmini.elf from the SD browser in bootmii, then re-installing both the HBC and Bootmii.

Yeah, I actually tried that first before coming here. No dice, Wii just froze and blue light flashed.

Good news is that in your quote, I was able to download the cboot 2 stuff...it loaded. I am installing wads now. Lets see how this plays out.

EDIT: I am getting a lot of freezing when I try to update IOSs on ModMii...can't install system menu either. Pack of WADs I got worked great though.

Awkward

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, no luck doing anything...I thought with BootMii as boot2 I would be alright but it looks screwed beyond repair.

Awkward

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, it should have format your nand. Try to make a new nand backup with bootmii, then format it and make fresh nand with giantpune's nand.bin formater.

I don't think it actually reformatted the nand. I did a new dump and I got a ton of corrected ECC failure blocks...when I redumped it it looked similar to other RecoverMii dumps I have done before.

winmaster

Weird Kid Who Still Plays Pokemon
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
nintenpc.tripod.com
XP
Country
United States
It really sounds like your NAND is toast, and its probably not from homebrew; nothing lasts forever.

Sorry, but if BootMii says you have a crap ton of bad blocks, then it probably isn't worth your time to revive this thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr