Hacking Bricked Wii, possibly broken bluetooth?

velmeran

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii's having some strange behavior that I haven't been able to explain at all. It is a JPN wii I believe to be non-autoboot chipped (picked it up when in China about 2 years ago), I regionfrii'ed it to NTSC and had it updated to 4.2U for months now with no issues.

I used it some on the last weekend and everything was fine and I shutdown normally.

I came in on Wenesday and found that pushing the power button I just got a blank screen, no health screen, no sound. I also can't use a remote to power on.

I got BootMii put back on my SD and loaded into that and saw that I couldn't load homebrew channel either. I decided to try and load my backup NAND and I see that I still have "Unknown, boot1, boot2v3" instead of what my system is, so I'm pretty sure my NAND is toast.

I'm planning now to try and format and rebuild the NAND completely, but I was wondering if there were any good guides for this since I'm not sure if regionfrii will effect things, and if I'll need to format back into Japanese or if I can stick with US system menu. If anyone has a good guide to doing this I'd be very grateful since my google-fu hasn't found anything that addresses my problems with out be being wary of totally bricking this thing.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

foolontehill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well from what I understand, if your bluetooth is bad, you wouldn't have even been able to load up bootmii. So that's probably a good indicator it is not your bluetooth module.

As for helping you, I am unfamiliar with regionfrii so cant help you there!

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Why do you think he should not be able to boot bootmii? When did bootmii got support for bluetooth?

Also if @OP had a modchip with autoboot feature he would have seen some games boot into their health&stuff screens and into their initial splash screens... (one such example is red steel)
That's how I determined a bricked wii I got had a broken bluetooth module.. Just ordered a replacement bluetooth module and replaced the broken one... it's working fine now...

velmeran

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any other way to know if it is or isn't the bluetooth module? I'm doubtful that I could get my friends to take apart one of their wiis to swap out and see if thats the problem or not.

foolontehill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiCrazy said:
Why do you think he should not be able to boot bootmii? When did bootmii got support for bluetooth?

Also if @OP had a modchip with autoboot feature he would have seen some games boot into their health&stuff screens and into their initial splash screens... (one such example is red steel)
That's how I determined a bricked wii I got had a broken bluetooth module.. Just ordered a replacement bluetooth module and replaced the broken one... it's working fine now...

I must have been mistaken then, I guess I thought the Wii basically would not do anything with a broken bluetooth module. I was under the impression that it would almost not even power up. You're right though, bootmii does not have bluetooth support.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
velmeran said:
Is there any other way to know if it is or isn't the bluetooth module? I'm doubtful that I could get my friends to take apart one of their wiis to swap out and see if thats the problem or not.

If you had your wiimote previously fully synced then "I also can't use a remote to power on." statement of yours also suggest a broken bluetooth module...

Btw broken bluetooth module issue is rumoured to be the result of corrupted eeprom memory on that module. If you have programmer that can read & write to a serial eeprom then chances are good that you can fix the issue sparing a new bluetooth module purchase... otherwise they are still cheap from dx... (Dunno how you build or get the good dump for that eeprom chip though)

And possibly your friends would not let try their bluetooth modules on your system... you go deep down onto the motherboard and unscrew pretty lots of screw for that...

Here is how you do it...
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Install...th-Board/3456/1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: it's a thing there