Hacking Bricked Wii - Need Help!

greeni91

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
HI There,

I have been trying to follow a guide for downgrading my Wii from v4.3e to v4.1e to make it easier to mod my wii.

Because I have v4.3e on my wii I could only install Bootmii as IOS and the homebrew channel via Letterbomb. Once I had the Homebrew channel installed I launched bootmii and made a backup of my nand.bin and keys.bin files in case of bricking my wii.

Next step was to downgrade my system menu to version 4.1e so that I could add more homebrew easier in future. I started Dop-Mii and began changing the IOSs to the versions that came with the guide. IOS60 installed correctly and I attempted the downgrade only to be met with failure because the NAND access was not permitted???(Don't know why)... I thought that everything would be OK but when I turned the console off then on I was met with a screen saying "No Signal". It seems that I have deleted the system menu 4.3e and not replaced it with anything. Now my wii will not boot...

I do NOT have Priiloader installed on my wii and my bootmii is IOS so I cannot get my wii started up to get to the homebrew channel and access bootmii to restore my files. I have tried using the gamecube controller fix but to no avail and I have noticed that my Disc Tray LED only blinks once at startup and none of my controllers are working,,,,

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am now "bricking it" in case I can't get it working...

JN_big3

Trophies
XP
Country
You don't need to downgrade from 4.3E to 4.1E. And you can install the Homebrew channel using WiiBrand instead of Letterbomb but this is useless if you don't get your Wii working.

Reflashing of the NAND is the only option or buy a new Wii.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you don't have Priiloader and can't enter BootMii menu, there's nothing you can do at this point.

Your NAND backup is what's saving your a*s right now, as it can be reflashed as Deadly mentioned. Make sure that turning on the Wii with the RESET button pressed does not boot into Priiloader (maybe you forgot you have it), if nothing shows up, send it in to one of the renowned modders of GBATemp.

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should have started off using ModMii, nothing else. Your problem was reading bits and pieces of a lot of info out there,
that kinda put you in the right direction, but what you did was Wii suicide in the end.
Take the advice from DeadlyFoez, and chalk it up as learning curve..

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
His method was not complete suicide. His problem is he used dop-mii, which failed and bricked his wii. This is not the first wii to be bricked by dop-mii since it went ahbprot and/or wiibrew edition. Lets call it what it is, the op tried to downgrade and dop-mii completly failed him. I would say don't use dop-mii atm, or even further, don't install system menu with ahbprot. Use the tried and true method of a good old cios.

Assuming the op was bright enough to remove the stub ios70, his downgrade method to 4.1 should have been without issue. The issue is a buggy app, not a misdirected op. He installed the system ios60, he installed sm 4.1 and the damn app failed.

Wads, I love then.

Dop-Mii just bricked a wii doing something that should not fail.
Not user error.
He should have used a good wadmanager, MMM, wiimod, YAWMM, take your pick. Apparently dop-mii is not so good atm.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No, you don't know what the op did. He says he installed the proper IOS versions, but who knows - especially when he says "I have been trying to follow a guide for downgrading my Wii from v4.3e to v4.1e" but gives no information about where the guide came from.
Sure the app might be a buggy piece of shit, but if the op wasn't doing unnecessarily risky things and following some random guide that gives bad advice it wouldn't be an issue. As an analogy you're saying it's safe to jump out of a plane as long as your parachute is working; meanwhile the smart people on the ground are wondering why all these idiots are flying up into the air in the first place.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No, you don't know what the op did. He says he installed the proper IOS versions, but who knows - especially when he says "I have been trying to follow a guide for downgrading my Wii from v4.3e to v4.1e" but gives no information about where the guide came from.
Sure the app might be a buggy piece of shit, but if the op wasn't doing unnecessarily risky things and following some random guide that gives bad advice it wouldn't be an issue. As an analogy you're saying it's safe to jump out of a plane as long as your parachute is working; meanwhile the smart people on the ground are wondering why all these idiots are flying up into the air in the first place.
Downgrading is not very risky. No more risky the patching the system ios, or installing a theme, or using priiloader. It is one of the wonderful things we do to hack our wii, just for shits and giggles if you like. Dop-Mii is supposed to check for proper system ios before installing any system menu, which it does. The op clearly states that the system ios installed correctly. We can assume that the system ios was installed during the system menu install as dop-mii will require you to install it prior. So system ios installs, then it crashes with some nand access error, not sure why. If the op wants to install another system menu, that is their choice. There are many very good methods to do this, but dop-mii has fallen flat on its face lately as this is probably the 3-5 brick related to installing system menu.

Also, there really is no such thing as downgrading, it is relative. You are just installing a system ios and menu. It does not matter what version so long as it is compatible with your wii and your installer does not fuck you over. EVERYONE WHO SAYS DOWNGRADING IS VERY DANGEROUS IS FULL OF SHIT. This is a hacking forum, you are modding your wii, there are risks that you need to accept, get over it. Don't flat out lie to people to scare them away from other methods. With the right method any wii can safely run any system menu 1.0-4.3+ without issue. Anyone who says otherwise is completely full of shit, and should really reconsider their hobbies. Now I am not saying that everyone should do this or that, but people should be provided with true and accurate information. That statment that downgrading ios and system menu is somehow more dangerous than the other crap wii do is complete bullshit. The people saying this stuff know it is bs, so do I, and so does anyone else who knows anything. And I do not know very much, but I can say that with confidence.

Anyway, dop-mii apparently as a bug and fails to do the job it promises is whatever version the op was using. I would suggest using a different app, or reliable version of dop-mii.

FYI, hacking your wii can brick it. Deal with it or leave it in the box.

I love skydiving, scuba diving, and anything else that would seem stupid to a normal boring person.

JN_big3

Trophies
XP
Country
Yo mauifrog, cool off man. Everything related to hacking the Wii can cause damage to the Wii. OP didn't realize that he didn't need to downgrade to mod his wii but instead he tried to downgrade which caused the Brick. If you think Downgrading isn't dangerous, look what happened to OP.

You don't have to tell that Everyone who thinks Downgrading is dangerous is "FULL OF SHIT". You could've said it in a nicer way

Reactions: 1 person

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
EVERYONE WHO SAYS DOWNGRADING IS VERY DANGEROUS IS FULL OF SHIT.
OP tried to downgrade, which you claim isn't dangerous; OP now has a bricked wii. I don't think we need you to tell us who is full of shit, it's pretty obvious.
Your right, hard to argue with that. I guess we should just say "hacking your wii and running any homebrew is unnecessary and risky, and don't do it, it could brick your wii", that should cover it.

Bad luck for the op, but there are other buggy apps that could have left him in the same situation without downgrading or even trying to mod the system files. So, your right. The wii is perfectly fine as it is out of the box, don't mess with it unless your not ok with the possibility of bricking it.

Warning, taking your wii out of the box and turning it on may brick it, if your not ok with this please leave it in the box and return to the store asap.

JN_big3

Trophies
XP
Country
EVERYONE WHO SAYS DOWNGRADING IS VERY DANGEROUS IS FULL OF SHIT.
OP tried to downgrade, which you claim isn't dangerous; OP now has a bricked wii. I don't think we need you to tell us who is full of shit, it's pretty obvious.
Your right, hard to argue with that. I guess we should just say "hacking your wii and running any homebrew is unnecessary and risky, and don't do it, it could brick your wii", that should cover it.

Bad luck for the op, but there are other buggy apps that could have left him in the same situation without downgrading or even trying to mod the system files. So, your right. The wii is perfectly fine as it is out of the box, don't mess with it unless your not ok with the possibility of bricking it.

Warning, taking your wii out of the box and turning it on may brick it, if your not ok with this please leave it in the box and return to the store asap.

I wonder if turning on the Wii can brick it. Poor guy if the Wii got bricked just by turning it on :lol: :lol:

greeni91

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Holy shit... quite a lot of posts in here now.

Anyway. For the most recent comments, I have been following a guide on WeHackWii to do my downgrading experiment. As you have noticed yes it has failed and blew up in my face, but I wouldn't say it was dangerous... just a little stupid. I just never took all the necessary precautions to allow me restore my NAND file and Keys file from my SD card if and when my wii bricked.

I have been searching around on different forums and seen that this is a common problem some noobs make with the newer wii consoles (as BootMii doesn't install as boot2 but as IOS). I noticed a few of them said that if you have done a backup of your wii NAND and Key files then you can flash them to your Wii internal memory chip (NAND) but to do so would cost a lot of money for the necessary equipment (obviously the software's free) and also seeing as how I don't have a lot of experience in the field I think I will take up Deadly Foez's advice and contact someone who has dealt with this sort of shit before.

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep posting on the updates.

JN_big3

Trophies
XP
Country
GBAtemp is better than WeHackWii (Just my opinion). ;) ;)

Another option if you don't get your Wii fixed: There are a lot who are selling their Wii Motherboard at ebay UK. http://www.ebay.co.uk. Buy the ones that are trusted

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit... quite a lot of posts in here now.

Anyway. For the most recent comments, I have been following a guide on WeHackWii to do my downgrading experiment. As you have noticed yes it has failed and blew up in my face, but I wouldn't say it was dangerous... just a little stupid. I just never took all the necessary precautions to allow me restore my NAND file and Keys file from my SD card if and when my wii bricked.

I have been searching around on different forums and seen that this is a common problem some noobs make with the newer wii consoles (as BootMii doesn't install as boot2 but as IOS). I noticed a few of them said that if you have done a backup of your wii NAND and Key files then you can flash them to your Wii internal memory chip (NAND) but to do so would cost a lot of money for the necessary equipment (obviously the software's free) and also seeing as how I don't have a lot of experience in the field I think I will take up Deadly Foez's advice and contact someone who has dealt with this sort of shit before.

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep posting on the updates.
If you followed a guide that told you to do this, with the method you chose to use, you should report the guide you where following so that it can be fixed or removed. No good having bad guides around, so be sure to report it so it goes away. What guide did you follow?

Fortunately he does have he nand keys, so he can fix it for a price.

vinzanity

Trophies
XP
Country
Again I suggest a system menu wad which includes priiloader, I tried to pack one but unsuccessfully so far.

This is just my opinion but for me, Priiloader sucks. I like startpatch better, which may not have the "press reset at bootup to access a recovery menu" but does the things that I need it for. Just see some recent post here about a bricked wii. Priiloader, instead of being "the savior" bricked it instead.

Bottomline: If you don't have bootmii as boot2, be cautious. Don't ever think that for a second, pre/priiloader can give you security because it doesn't.
I agree with mauifrog: Installing anything that has something to do with the System Menu (ios60,70,80 and 4.2,4.3, etc) is dangerous but if using the RIGHT tools it is NOT.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@tueidj
I just wanted to appologize for me being rude. I did not intend to direct it at you. I did mean every word I said, but did not intend to be hostile or insulting, which I believe I have done. It is just that the wii community would never hesitate to recommend someone to update there wii from an old system menu to a new, with whatever app of your choice, but it has a bad habit of instilling fear about downgrading. As I see it, there is no difference or increased risk from updating to some system menu or downgrading to some system menu using the same app, both are equally dangerous. Downgrading your wii is risky and dangerous, but so is updating it, so if you want to downgrade it then go for it. People need accurate information to allow them to do stupid thing with minimal risk, not false fears. That was all I wanted to say and I said it poorly. I do not believe dop-mii to be a crappy app as I have used and recommend it many times, but possibly newer versions or newer cios have created some issue. What I think is most important about this thread is the possibility of identifying that issue. Is it dop-mii, the cios, the wii, who knows. This issue should be addressed, possibly a bug report made if needed. The op should not be bashed for using an app as it was designed to do, his downgrade should not have failed as there is no reason to assume that it would.

I just wanted to apologize, I should have said it better than I did.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Geez, we are in 2012, not 2009. Nobody uses Waninkoko's downgraders anymore. If you know your stuff you can tell that downgrading is basically as much "dangerous" as updating. What's really dangerous is the one who tries to play with the Wii's system files without any clue what he is doing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?