Hacking bricked wii need help

afgzgo93ther

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i need help with a bricked wii. i was giving instructions to mod my friends wii but he accidentally bricked it. He installed boootmii as ios, has homebrew, and has preloader. He patched ios36 and everything worked fine. he was trying to install CIOS38 rev12 but it said error. so we skipped that part and he installed neogamma wad, and a few other WAD files.

Okay, before he started, he made a NAND backup. But he was using my sd card. and my "keys.bin" file from my nand backup was in there too, but my nand file wasnt in there..

so he tried restoring from backup and he went on to pressing x,y,b,and a and it said that the the dump is for another wii. so my questions is if i remove my keys.bin file from the sd, and leave his keys.bin file in there, will it be able to work.

he can go into preloader, homebrew channel and bootmii.

we were following deviyl's softmodding guide. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=168890 but tried installing cios38 rev12 and it gave us an error.

so now he cant go into his sysmenu. it says its corrupted. any help is appreciated. thanks.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Also that backup restore thing I believe is more likely a bug in the bootmii beta 0.3 version if you used that. Your keys.bin likely got overwritten either way when he made that backup with yours still there, but either way, while the nand dump is still technically ok, you're going to have to do some hex editing of it if you want to restore it.

But since you have the IOS version of bootmii, you should not use that to restore regardless. Using that version to restore CAN work, but can also brick your Wii beyond repair. Since you can get into preloader at all to load it, there is likely a much better way to fix it as said above. It is likely a brick due to one of the wad's you installed.

Before going in to wad manager now and deleting all those wad's you installed, make ABSOLUTELY sure none of those wad's have ANYTHING to do with any sort of IOS or system menu or something like that.

If you're on 4.0/4.1 and you delete an IOS60 wad, you can kiss that Wii goodbye, cuz Nintendo won't even bother fixing that specific one and will likely send you a different one.

If you DID install any sort of IOS60 (or IOS30 on 3.2 or IOS50 on 3.3/3.4) wad, then the brick should be fixed by reinstalling preloader.

If it was a bad wad of a vc/wiiware game or a channel or something, that is a banner brick and you need to uninstall that wad.

afgzgo93ther

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies. ill tell him to try uninstalling the wads. i think it was because of the wads because the wads work perfectly on my wii cuz i installed CIos38 rev14 but he didnt install the CIos38 rev12 cuz it gave him an error so it might be because of that...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it